In fast-growing countries around the world, there have been huge developments in urbanisation, infrastructure and city growth. The need to accommodate this growth requires a trained, professional workforce skilled at construction management and construction engineering techniques.
MSc Construction Management meets this need with an interdisciplinary programme focused on the management of construction engineering projects. It covers advanced knowledge of management, economics, information engineering, civil engineering, environmental engineering, and technologies.
The design of this programme integrates social, economic and environmental aspects into construction engineering projects’ life cycle; and addresses the importance of sustainability in construction to ensure that construction is carried out with limited environmental impact, or adverse impact on society.
Why Should I Study Construction Management at XJTLU?
Designed for working professionals who wish to learn specialised engineering management techniques covering planning, design, and construction of an engineering project through a project’s life cycle;
- Continue your journey in construction management both in and outside China to become a chartered builder with a focus on critical thinking and independent learning;
- Taught in English by highly-experienced academic staff with a wide variety of international backgrounds;
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MSc Construction Management, you will be able to:
- apply advances in construction technologies, financing and methods to underscore the need for a sound and sustainable management of construction projects;
- understand organisational structures, business models, and the capability of implementing and applying new technologies into practice;
- work productively with improved organisation, information handling and project management skills.
Our graduates gain highly theoretical and professional specialised knowledge and are able to solve technical problems of great complexity. Within the context of the programme’s modules, the students learn to assess and evaluate technical problems and implement simple yet efficient techniques, adopting a professional approach.
- Fundamentals of Project Management
- Advanced Construction Management
- Project Risk Management
- Construction Process Simulation
- Building Information Model (BIM) for Construction
- Environmental Engineering and Management Practice
- Project Stakeholder Management
- Construction Planning and Control
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your master's degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
The construction industry in China and around the world is calling out for graduates to take on specialised managerial roles in this dynamic fast-changing industry. The programme is designed to meet the growing need for professionals with advanced technical, engineering, management and applied research skills not only in the construction industry but also in related industries.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18-month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 per cent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case, a discount of five per cent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 per cent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 per cent or above
- Non 211 project; Non-Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% per cent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme.
- Equivalent academic qualifications.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a relevant field such as civil engineering or a related programme.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
"Our programme broadens educational and career options by providing a holistic and integrative state-of-the-art curriculum, and will give students the knowledge, discipline and sought-after skills to become future leaders of the construction industry."
Jian Li Hao
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the apply link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to email@example.com(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More