The MSc Biology programme is a collaboration between the Institute of Biology Leiden, Naturalis Biodiversity Center and the Institute of Environmental Sciences, giving the programme a broad and diverse scope.
What does this master's programme entail?
The knowledge that you acquire during this programme will provide an overall understanding of life and how this can be of great value to society. For example, with your knowledge about DNA, you will be able to work on important topics such as enhancing sustainability in agri- and horticulture, or developing new antibiotics by using fungi or bacteria.
The programme offers four research specialisations, which optionally can be combined with a more practical-oriented specialisation in communication, education or business. The master's programme also involves training general skills that will be important for your future career, be it in academia, industry or government.
Why study Biology at Leiden University?
- Leiden University offers you a unique combination of knowledge and expertise through close collaboration between three renowned research institutes.
- Within the programme, you have ample opportunities to assemble our own study path based on your own interests and ambitions.
- You have access to state of the art facilities, such as a lab for high throughput genotyping, the Nanopore Sequencing Lab, the Metabolomics Facility and Cell Observatory.
- Biodiversity and Sustainability
- Biology and Education
- Biology and Science Communication and Society
- Biology and Business Studies
- Evolutionary Biology
- From Cells to Organisms
- Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology
Biology: the right master’s programme for you?
Biology is the right master's programme for you if you are interested in molecular biology, biotechnology, cell biology, evolutionary biology, biodiversity and/or environment. In one of the research specialisations you will be trained for a career in research within or outside academia. You can also choose for a more practical-oriented specialisation where you combine one year of biology research with one year of training in business, communication or education.
Admission and application
Do you want to apply for the master’s programme Biology at Leiden University? Find out how to apply for your programme by following the step-by-step guide in the application and admission section: