Choose Kingston's Advanced Product Design Engineering MSc
This course focuses on the latest technology in modern CAD/CAM/CAE/PLM applications to enable students to acquire knowledge and understanding of rapid design and manufacture of a new product from a single computer terminal, without the need for lengthy prototype and test cycles. Implementing this technology is essential in today's global marketplace, where survival relies on being first to market.
The MSc will meet, in part, the exemplifying academic benchmark requirements for registration as a Chartered Engineer. Accredited MSc graduates who also have a BEng(Hons) accredited for CEng, will be able to show that they have satisfied the educational base for CEng registration.
- Teaching in many technical modules is backed up by appropriate hands-on experience and workshops, which can be transferred directly to your working environment.
- Academic teaching is complemented by visits from industry experts. You will also have plenty of opportunities to attend relevant technical seminars, both within and outside the University.
- You can tailor your course to enhance your career ambitions through your module choices and the project dissertation gives you the opportunity to choose a field of study in which to establish yourself as a specialist.
What will you study?
This programme is structured to provide you with the latest developments in this still-evolving discipline and focuses on providing you with hands-on experience of the latest computing applications throughout the entire product development cycle. The course covers a range of topics from 3D solid modelling and the techniques required to extend the capabilities of a 3D modelling system to gain practical and theoretical knowledge of analytical computer tools by using finite element analysis (FEA) techniques. It also examines the importance of modern materials in advanced manufacturing processes, as well as computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) and application of rapid prototyping technologies. Additionally, the programme enables you to gain the entrepreneurship, management and business skills necessary to take on leadership roles in major product design engineering projects.
The project dissertation challenges you to investigate a theoretical area in depth and also to undertake a real-world product design problem-solving project.
Coursework and/or exams, presentations, research project.
Please note that this is an indicative list of modules and is not intended as a definitive list.
- Engineering Research Techniques, Entrepreneurship and Quality Management
- Computer Integrated Product Development
- Advanced CAD/CAM Systems
- Engineering Individual Project
Option modules (choose one)
- Industrial Operation Management and Resources Simulation
- Green Engineering and Energy Efficiency
- Mechatronics Design and Automation
Learn a language
You will have the opportunity to study a foreign language, free of charge, during your time at the University as part of the Kingston Language Scheme. Options currently include Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
Cost & Fees
Home and European Union 2016/17
- MSc full time £6,300
- MSc part time £3,465
Overseas (not EU) 2016/17
- MSc full time £12,900
- MSc part time £7,095
Program taught in: