This course will equip you with the latest knowledge and skill set needed for a successful career within the accounting and finance sector. We have had graduates go on to work at companies including KPMG, Deloitte and RBS to name a few.
This programme has been designed to enhance the specialist knowledge and skills of graduates who have already undertaken substantial accounting and finance studies at undergraduate degree level. Alternatively, if you have successfully achieved all of the ACCA Fundamental level papers you are eligible to apply.
The programme covers a number of core themes including International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), corporate reporting, corporate governance and risk management. Professional ethics, alongside the application of tools and models of finance theory, to complex strategic corporate finance transactions are central to the programme. In addition, you will develop knowledge in implementing the strategy in the context of both the external environment and internal business capabilities, and be able to evaluate performance implications of a given strategy.
You will have the opportunity to engage with current business issues through specialist input and the completion of the independent study. Your dissertation will normally take the form of an empirical piece of research.
Top-Up Your Existing Postgraduate Qualifications to a Masters
If your qualifications are relevant to the MSc you would like to study; you may be eligible for entry with advanced standing. For more information, please visit Fast Track Your Masters.
Features and benefits of the course
- You will be taught at the internationally recognised multi-award-winning Business School in Manchester city centre.
- Teaching staff on this programme are highly experienced practitioners and active researchers in their fields.
- You will have complimentary access to Bloomberg, the leading global platform used by the worlds leading banks, corporations and government agencies for news, data, analytics and research.
- The Business School is the only public sector ACCA platinum approved learning partner in the North of England.
- Read our economics blog at http://eomics.mmu.ac.uk
- There are opportunities to focus your assignments on your employment goals.
- You will have extensive access to real-world data and academic journals.
- This programme has an advanced standing route for mature students who have relevant professional qualifications or who have previously studied for a postgraduate certificate or diploma. Through advanced standing, we can give you academic credit for your current qualifications. Typically, this would be members of the ACCA. Consequently, you only need to study selected units and can achieve an MSc in a shorter time frame. The tuition fees for this route are also lower because you only pay for the units you need to take rather than having to study all the units for the MSc.
- You have the opportunity to join the Accounting, Finance and Economics (AFE) Student Society. The Society organises a variety of events for students including employer fairs, guest speakers and various networking opportunities.
- All graduates from the MSc Accounting and Finance course will be eligible to sit the CIMA Gateway paper, which will fast-track them to the CIMA Strategic Level. The route requires you to sit a single three-hour exam in either May or November each year. It assesses your knowledge of the material covered in the management level of the CIMA Professional Qualification. Once you have passed, you will be awarded the CIMA Advanced Diploma in Management Accounting and be granted exemptions from all certificate, operational and management level exams in the CIMA Professional Qualification. Then by sitting three strategic level papers and TOPCIMA (and relevant work experience), it will lead to students becoming CIMA qualified accountants.
Our postgraduate programmes aim to combine academic knowledge from leading research in the area with the professional skills that employers are seeking.
Our research in business and law brings together a number of synergistic research centres and knowledge clusters and our doctoral school of PhD researchers, who work with teaching staff on the design of the programme.
During your studies, you may have the opportunity to participate in:
- Industry visits real companies
- Short-term internships with local employers
- Client projects for real clients
- Governance, Risk and Forensic Accounting
- Critical Perspectives on Ethics and Sustainability
- International Corporate Reporting
- Corporate Finance
- Masters-level Learning
You can select one option unit that will enable you to specialise in a particular subject area. These options are:
- Advanced Finance
- Risk Management in Financial Institutions
- Corporate Strategy
- Business Analytics
- Project Management Framework
- Financial Analytics
- Critical Perspectives in Entrepreneurship
- Global Strategic Innovation
- Project Management Systems
- International Business Acquisitions
- Uni-wide Language
- Live Client Brief
You will normally have at least a 2:2 UK honours degree (or international equivalent) in an accounting and finance degree, or a degree with substantial accounting content.
We will also consider applicants with appropriate professional passes in a CCAB or equivalent approved professional accounting body and with substantial relevant work experience.
Applicants whose first language is not English (and whose first degree was not taught in English) are required to produce evidence of English Language proficiency to TEFL minimum score 575 (minimum 4.0 in written test) or IELTS minimum score 6.5.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 28, 2018