Master of Science in Information Security (MSIS)
Help protect organizations by protecting their data. Information Security professionals are in great demand - individuals qualified to analyze, plan, and implement computer security strategies to safeguard organizations and their data.
Lewis University's MSIS degree program is designed to:
- Provide you with technical skills and techniques for securing a variety of computing platforms
- Teach you to make managerial decisions informed by cyber security considerations, including how to quantify the value of IT assets and the risk associated with losing them
- Help you understand the computer science that underlies cyber attacks and efforts to counteract them so you can respond to new attacks as they evolve
- Examine the vulnerabilities associated with database systems, web applications, and operating systems, how to find them, and how to recover data corrupted when such systems are compromised
- Convey the legal, ethical and privacy issues associated with information security
- Prepare you to take the highly regarded CISSP Certification Exam
The MSIS Program has a shared set of core courses to receive a solid understanding of both the technical and managerial issues that face information security professionals. Then, choose one of the two concentrations to expand your understanding of the side of information security - technical or managerial:
- Technical Concentration: Designed for IT professionals interested in identifying security breaches, implementing security solutions to comply with security policies and procedures, and resolving security problems when and where they arise. This hands-on concentration examines how information systems can be made secure, including information processing systems, secure operating systems and applications, network security, cryptography, security protocols and other issues that confront those charged with securing information networks.
- Management Concentration: Designed for information technology (IT) leaders, information security managers, and directors who are responsible for designing, recommending, and maintaining the IT infrastructure and information security controls. The management concentration has hands-on courses in cybercrime identification and prevention, computer forensics, ethical hacking, database security, risk management, and information security governance and compliance.
Why Study MSIS at Lewis?
The MSIS curriculum meets the CNSS National Training Standards for information security professionals and senior system managers.Lewis University is also a DHS/NSA nationally recognized Center of Academic Excellent in Information Assurance Education.
For specific information about the MSIS course descriptions and graduation requirements, please see the Curriculum here: Technical Concentration; Management Concentration.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 29, 2018