Data Science, M.S.
Learn how to design algorithms to uncover the secrets hiding in big data. More and more industries are looking for knowledgeable individuals who can mine tremendous amounts of data to glean powerful and profitable business intelligence.
How can you help companies utilize these same data mining and predictive analyses to optimize organizational processes? Lewis' supportive educational community and state-of-the-art Science Center offer the perfect preparation for success as a Data Scientist through an interdisciplinary curriculum in which you will:
- Design and develop software and systems to store, manage, query, process and interpret big data
- Devise algorithms to identify reasonable trends buried in large data sets
- Determine how best to display data to communicate actionable recommendations
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the mathematics and computing of data science techniques and technologies
- Use real-time and historical data to solve real-world business problems
- Learn how to evaluate and compare large-scale and cloud-based data storage solutions that meet specific performance, security, query, functional and cost requirements
- Choose appropriate data mining and analysis techniques to solve specific problems
- Conclude your graduate experience by researching and writing your thesis capstone, applying data mining and analytics to your specific industry
The MS Data Science degree allows you to choose a specialization specific to your career goals and professional interests:
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics – Designed for the analyst working in the healthcare industry. You will use data mining to design customized pharmaceuticals, maximize patient outcomes, track the spread of disease, optimize ambulance routes, and more.
- Computer Science – Best suited for students with an undergraduate degree in CS. You will focus on real-world applications including designing large-scale storage systems and wiring applications to manage, query and visualize large data sets on a variety of computing platforms.
- Ranked in the Top-25 Midwest Region, by U.S. News & World Report
- Certified by the U.S. NSA and DHS as a “Center for Academic Excellence”
- 8-week courses offered on-campus or online to accommodate a flexible schedule
- Great balance between theory and practical application
- Brand new Science Center houses some of the most impressive computer science resources in the region
- Leverage cutting-edge cloud computing resources and software suites as Matlab, Maple and SPSS
For specific information about the MS Data Science courses and the two concentrations please see the Curriculum here.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 29, 2018