The Master of Science in Criminal Justice (MSCJ) degree is designed for those who want to advance in the field of criminal justice and seek a deeper understanding of criminal justice issues for application in related fields. This MSCJ program looks at the complex issues that surround crime and justice and helps students develop the skills and techniques used by criminal justice leaders so they can apply principles of leadership in organizational settings, as well as gain an informed perspective of law enforcement, the judicial system, and corrections at the managerial levels. Vulnerable populations, organizational leadership and change, and technological advances in the field of criminal justice are also covered.
Why a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice?
- MSCJ is available fully online and in hybrid lectures designed for working professionals and full-time students;
- Work with experienced professionals and academics from the criminal justice field;
- Provides credential needed to enter management and leadership roles;
- This Master's degree is a 1-year program if students take 2 courses each in the six 8-week terms.
Students in HPU’s MSCJ will:
- Identify problems or objectives associated with criminal justice issues, collect and analyze evidence in support of those problems or objectives, assess assumptions, and define relevant individual perspectives.
- An ability to synthesize, evaluate, recognize implications, and communicate effectively using scholarly sources of information connected to crime theory and policy.
- Proficiency to evaluate and resolve the ethical issues in criminal justice practice, implementation, and management changes to prevent or respond effectively to them.
- Proficiency in research design that includes research design as well as quantitative and qualitative analysis related to the evaluations of criminal justice practices, programs, and policies.
- $55 Application Fee
- Official Transcript: reflecting conferred bachelor's degree. Master's if applicable.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of purpose/essay
- English Proficiency - www.hpu.edu/gradintl
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the Master of Science in Criminal Justice will:
- Apply critical thinking skills to identify, analyze, and address crime and criminal justice issues.
- Locate, access, evaluate, synthesize, and use scholarly sources of information related to crime theory and policy.
- Effectively communicate in writing and speaking in the presentation of criminology and justice principles and their applications to issues, situations, and research.
- Develop a fundamental commitment to ethical analysis in the practice of criminal justice that considers human rights, integrity, and accountability.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and understanding of research methods, statistics, and program evaluation techniques.
About the School
At HPU we believe that it is our responsibility to give back to the community and respect the land we live in. Students, faculty, staff, and the broader university community are encouraged to find exp ... Read More