The program curriculum takes a unique hands-on approach. Students spend some time with the traditional study of economic systems, but the majority of their work is on personal projects and experiments. Students are encouraged to use their insights to create exchange systems they find personally interesting, and the ESI professors support and work alongside the students throughout the program.
The unique MSBCE program offers two options. Students who have completed an undergraduate degree undertake a two-year master’s program. Students still working on an undergraduate degree can take a five-year program that integrates undergraduate and master’s degrees.
2-Year Master of Science in Behavioral and Computational Economics
The 2-year Master of Science in Behavioral and Computational Economics program is a unique opportunity open to anyone with a completed Bachelor’s degree and strong mathematical or computational background.
Behavioral and Computational Economics is the scientific study of the design, development, testing, and implementation of economic institutions and an understanding of how they operate. An MS in Behavioral and Computational Economics (MSBCE) prepares students to undertake the scientific process of understanding and developing systems of exchange and their incentives.
5 Year Integrated Undergraduate/MSBCE Degree Program
The 5 year integrated MSBCE program is a unique opportunity open to all Chapman University undergraduates or admitted transfer students with a strong mathematical or computational background.
Undergraduates will have the opportunity to obtain a Bachelor’s degree of their choice and an MSBCE with just one additional year of study. Admitted students are required to take eight credit hours of graduate MSBCE coursework in addition to prerequisites by their senior year.
What is the difference between the 2-year MSBCE only program and the MSBCE 5-year integrated program?
The MSBCE 2-year program is for students that have already completed a bachelor’s degree and are now interested in completing a master’s degree. The 5-year integrated program is for undergraduate students looking to integrate one year of their master's program with their undergraduate degree to finish a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in 5 years.
2 Year MSBCE
Admission to the program may be achieved by the completion of the following requirements:
- Completed a bachelor's degree and the appropriate prerequisites at a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher AND prerequisite coursework or equivalent preparation with cumulative GPA of 3.6 or higher.
- Submit applicationMarch 31st for consideration.
- Remit the non-refundable application fee of $60, payable to Chapman University.
- Submit an official transcript from the baccalaureate degree-granting institution only to: Office of Graduate Admission, Chapman University, Argyros Forum, Room 304, One University Drive, Orange, California 92866.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's academic abilities.
- Achieve an acceptable score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Complete a personal interview.
- Foreign applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree outside of the United States may be required to achieve an acceptable score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a minimum score of 59 on the Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
5 year MSBCE
Financial Aid and Scholarships
There is no separate application for scholarships. All applicants are considered for full and partial tuition scholarships as well as research assistantships; however there are a limited number of scholarships available.
In order to be awarded a scholarship, prospective students must demonstrate a good work ethic, a strong undergraduate background, an exceptional score on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), and outstanding letters of recommendation.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 24, 2018