THIS PROGRAM IS TAUGHT IN FRENCH
MS IGE - Environmental Management and Engineering
Created in 1992, ISIGE – MINES ParisTech is the educational centre for MINES ParisTech Graduate School (the Ecole des Mines de Paris) that is dedicated to the environment and sustainable development. It trains high-level experts who can grasp these issues in a comprehensive fashion.
ISIGE - MINES ParisTech hosts its students at one of Ecole des Mines ParisTech's four locations, namely the Fontainebleau campus. Located sixty kilometres south of Paris, this town offers a special living environment to the French and foreign students residing there.
On top of the cultural events and the town's opportunities for activities, the students value the proximity of the forest area. The Fontainebleau Forest, including a section listed as a "Man and Biosphere" reserve by UNESCO, presents several options for leisure activities—hiking, biking, and climbing. The city has several athletic facilities.
It is taught in French.
Sustainable development and the environment are now integral parts of companies' management and strategic decisions. These questions are all part of the complex realities that bring a range of skills into play: scientific, economic, legal, as well as social and ethical.
The Advanced Master's degree in Environmental Management and Engineering (IGE) allows students from diverse educational programmes, with an eye on future professional responsibilities, to acquire more than just basic scientific understanding. They gain a cross-disciplinary view of and a critical mindset towards issues in sustainable development and the environmental dimension.
6 months of theoretical courses:
Academic instruction is given over six months at the ISIGE and addresses the following topics:
1. Resource management (ecosystems, biodiversity, mineral and fossil resources)
2. Agriculture and the environment (production systems, environmental impacts)
3. Public policies (institutions, law, economy of the environment)
4. Health and environment (ecotoxicity, public health policies, risks)
5. The industrial environment (management systems, impact management, ecodesign, life cycle analysis)
6. "Sustainable development" strategies for companies (reporting, CSR, indicators, etc.)
7. Energy and climate change (energy efficiency, CDM, CO2 capture and storage)
8. Sustainable cities and territories (flow and networks, eco-districts, sustainable city, Agenda 21)
The programme includes several case studies, interactive exercises, and study trips. Several projects (done in teams) are undertaken at the same time by students.
The programme will be given partly in English by international experts.
6 months of professional mission:
Lasting six months, the goal of the assignment is to advance a strategic subject connected to the environment and to the sustainable development of a business. For the student, this is the opportunity to expand on his/her earlier curriculum and recent acquisitions from the Advanced Master's degree in the field, by successfully carrying out a significant project in a professional setting.
A few examples :
- REACH regulations, origin, adaptation measurements and impacts, the example of the iron and steel industry - ASCOMETAL
- Study of the balance between regional biomass needs of the group and mobilizable resources - ELYO
- Basic scientific knowledge in engineering and environmental management, including the political, social, and regulatory issues
- Methodologies and tools for analysis, diagnosis, and quantification
- Acquisition of ways of thinking to implement sustainable development
- Ability to communicate, listen, and negotiate
- Critical mindset, ability to work in a team, and an interdisciplinary approach
- Environmental supervisor in a large industrial group, department head or HEQ supervisor
- Consultants in large consulting firms, credit rating agencies, and engineering firms
- Policy officers in sustainable development and the environment with regional authorities and professional associations, the Chambers of Commerce and Industry, the French Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME), in Regional Directorates for Industry Research and the Environment (DRIRE), and with various ministries
- Participants who are recognised in their fields, industrialists and teacher-researchers
- Potential to finance the training through an industrial or institutional partnership
- Forward-looking, strategic professional assignment topics
- High rate of direct hiring
- Alumni network
Last updated January 28, 2018