MRes in Finance and Management
Duration: One calendar year (full-time) Two calendar years (part-time)
Subjects Preferred: Minimum first degree with good grades in any subject equivalent to a UK upper second class honours
Start of programme: September
Mode of Attendance: Full Time or Part Time
The MRes in Finance and Management degree at SOAS is unique in two respects. First, it combines a broad-based training in quantitative and qualitative research methods used in financial and management studies. Secondly, due to the research background of academics at SOAS and their regional expertise, the qualitative and quantitative research methods introduced can be applied in the context of developing and emerging economies.
The programme is suitable for students with a background of BA or BSc level who wish to progress to undertake a PhD, but who do not already hold a Masters level qualification. It is also suitable for students who want to improve their qualitative and quantitative research methods skills, and for those whose Masters level degree did not contain significant research methods components.
In many cases, students will wish to join a PhD programme after successfully completing the MRes in Finance and Management.
Students must take 180 credits. These are composed of 90 taught credits comprising a core and optional modules and a 90 credit dissertation.
The MRes in Finance and Management has three components:
- Four core modules
- Two option modules
- Dissertation of 20,000 words on an approved topic
The 20,000-word dissertation is worth 50% of your final mark. During term 2 you will submit your dissertation proposal and be allocated an academic supervisor. Over the ensuing months, you should meet with your supervisor at least three times before the end of term 3 for guidance. The bulk of your dissertation will be written over the summer to meet the mid-September deadline.
Part-time students are required to complete three core modules during their first year, then three modules and the dissertation during their second year. Please see the programme specification below for further information.
Not all option modules are offered every year; please check your preferences with the Programme Convenor. Also note that where 15 credit modules are selected, these should be balanced between term 1 and term 2.
- Analysing Qualitative and Quantitative Data 15PFMC084 (15 credits) Term 1
- Theories in Management and Finance 15PFMC086 (15 credits) Term 2
- Research Design and Epistemology 15PFMC085 (15 credits) Term 1
- Advanced Quantitative Research Methods 15PFMC083 (15 credits) Term 2
- Bank Regulation and Resolution of Banking Crises 15PFMC097 (15 credits) Term 1
- Regulation of international capital markets 15PFMC061 (15 credits) Term 1
- Risk management 15PFMC071 (15 credits) Term 1
- Islamic banking and finance 15PFMC074 (15 credits) Term 1
- Corporate finance 15PFMC070 (15 credits) Term 2
- Corporate governance 15PFMC069 (15 credits) Term 2
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 18, 2018