The Master of Research (MRes) Engineering programme provides specialist study for graduates intending to work in research and development environments in a variety of scientific and engineering disciplines.
You'll develop your ability to apply engineering knowledge, your understanding of engineering principles and skills and gain an understanding of commitment to quality and standards to the practice of science and engineering.
The course is designed to enable you to organize and manage technologically advanced research, development, and production and also interact effectively in a global market. You'll acquire and use a broad base of active knowledge in various research technologies, and gain a broad and systematic understanding of the fundamental principles of a specific scientific or engineering area and its related topics.
The School of Engineering has a strong culture of research and enterprise. London South Bank University (LSBU) is the top modern university in London for world-leading and internationally excellent research and Grade Point Average in General Engineering -Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
REF also awarded 80% of LSBU's research into General Engineering the two highest quality ratings (4* or 3*) for 'impact' (research and significance).
LSBU offers several research centers or areas you could join:
- Advanced Materials
- Big Data and Informatics
- Biomedical and Communications
- Energy and the Environment
- Intelligent Monitoring and Asset Management
A member of staff, an expert in the chosen field, is directly responsible for guiding and supporting your research programme. As a research student, you'll become part of our thriving academic community.
Advantages of an MRes
An MRes is distinct from a taught Masters in that your final output will be an extended dissertation or creative project relevant to your field of interest, rather than module-based coursework and exams.
An MRes provides you with hands-on experience with the tools used in scientific or engineering research. This includes good analytical and presentation skills, an ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, good time management, and project management skills, and knowledge of emerging technologies and the ability to adapt to them.
You can complete an MRes in one year or part-time over two years, as opposed to a full Ph.D. which can take up to five years. The MRes project can be focused toward a work-based project.
Key course information - ordered by mode
|Full-time||1 year||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time||2 years||September||Southwark Campus|
- Intellectual property development
- Technical, research and professional skills
- Research project
All modules are assessed by coursework, for example, assignment reports.
On successful completion of the course, you can either continue to MPhil/ Ph.D. studies or work in the research and development or technical support sections in industries such as electrical and electronic engineering, computer networks, telecommunications, and other engineering disciplines.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
- A UK Honours degree or international equivalent; or
- A professional qualification recognized as equivalent to an honors degree in the general engineering discipline.
- We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.5.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 8, 2018