The MRes in Biosciences gives you expert research training embedded in our world-class research groups embedded within one or more of our research themes in Biosciences. You will benefit from our specialist facilities on the way to achieving a research qualification of genuine distinction.
Our specialist facilities include:
- A custom-designed £12.5 million coastal research vessel.
- The unique Centre for Sustainable Aquatic Research.
- Advanced computing facilities with high-end graphics workstations.
- Bespoke behaviour and ecology laboratory facilities.
- Dedicated molecular ecology and endocrinology facilities and laboratories.
The first term consists of two compulsory modules providing core science skills, knowledge of research methods and scientific reviewing, and one module chosen from a range on offer from the College of Science. The second and third terms are occupied by the research project.
The entry requirements for the MRes Biosciences is a first or upper second class honours degree in Bioscience or a related subject.
IELTS 6.5 (with a minimum of 6.0 in each component) or equivalent English test.
As well as academic qualifications, Admissions decisions may be based on other factors, including (but not limited to): the standard of the research synopsis/proposal, performance at interview, intensity of competition for limited places, and relevant professional experience.
How you are Supervised
Over the year-long course, you will undertake a series of taught modules before embarking on a major research project under the guidance of expert research staff that will guide and support your development of independent research skills, leading to a dissertation written in the style of a scientific paper.
If you are a Welsh speaker our dedicated academy, Academi Hywel Teifi is here to support you throughout your time at Swansea University. We offer you:
- An interview through the medium of Welsh when applying for a place.
- The option to receive your personal correspondence in Welsh - we will then communicate with you in your language of choice.
- The option to write and submit your coursework or exams through the medium of Welsh (even if you have chosen to study in English) and every effort will be made to mark your work in its original language.
- A Welsh-speaking personal tutor.
- One-to-one support to improve your academic Welsh language skills.
Since 2011, there has been a 40% increase in the number of students studying through the medium of Welsh at Swansea University and our *TEF data over the last two years shows that Welsh-medium students are high achievers in regards to employability (*Swansea University TEF return 2017 and 2018).
About the School
Swansea University is a research-led university that has been making a difference since 1920. The University community thrives on exploration and discovery, and offers the right balance of excellent t ... Read More