The MRes Management programme helps you develop a systematic understanding and critical appreciation of alternative approaches, methodologies and paradigms of research in the field of business and management. It will equip you with an understanding of what constitutes quality research, and acquaint you with the research processes involved from the point of inception to project completion. You will be registered as an off-site University of Liverpool postgraduate research student, while studying at XJTLU in China.
The overall goal of the programme is to develop fully trained and competent management researchers who are able to understand and use research techniques appropriate to their subject area.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) in 2016 and 2018 respectively. AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation. The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritative and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
Unique selling points
- This programme is both a stand-alone masters programme as well as a prerequisite to those who wish to earn a PhD degree in management, economics or financial economics.
- Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
The MRes Management programme will equip you to:
- review systematically, and evaluate critically research paradigms and demonstrate how they inform management research projects
- analyse business and management processes and their environment using a multitude of conceptual approaches
- understand how the examination of different aspects in business and management research can be integrated
- demonstrate comprehensive understanding and critical reflection of literature in the field of study
- demonstrate self-direction and originality in the design of quality research projects in a range of managerial and organisational settings
- understand and systematically apply research skills in quantitative, qualitative and mixed-method data collection and analysis relative to business and management research
- appreciate how the organisational context affects the design, conduct, analysis, and interpretation of research in business and management
- advance your knowledge and understanding through the completion and comprehensive write-up of independently conducted research projects
MRes Management students are required to take the following core modules, followed by a research project (dissertation):
- Business and management as a social science
- Quantitative methods
- Qualitative methods
- Advanced research methods.
Co-registration onto the PhD programme is possible after 12 months subject to satisfactory performance.
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Industry opportunities may manifest themselves in the form of research posts in private and public sector organisations. The programme has a substantial theoretical and methodological core that provides an essential basis for students moving on to doctoral level study.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in finance, accounting, economics, management, science or engineering.
- North America: 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
- Other regions: Equivalent academic qualifications
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 6, 2018