The MRes Advanced Chemical Sciences programme provides students with the education and training needed to understand different aspects of the field of material sciences. It aligns with similar MSc programmes at the University of Liverpool.
The programme contains taught modules covering areas from synthetic chemistry to nanotechnology to analytical methods and instrumentation. It places strong emphasis on the development of project management and professional skills. After completing the taught modules, you will engage in a 12-month extensive research project of your choice that leads to submission of a dissertation.
A customised learning plan is designed for you, taking into account your background and career aspirations. Successful completion of the programme leads to the award of an MRes degree from the University of Liverpool.
Why Should I Study Advanced Chemical Sciences At XJTLU?
- Taught by international staff who are experts in various fields of chemistry
- Excellent preparation for the study of PhD programmes both at universities abroad or in China
- Offers strong links to local and international industries
- XJTLU is located close to the many biotechnology companies in nearby BioBay, a national biotechnology hub with over 400 companies, ideal for internships
- Nearby Cold Spring Harbor Asia hosts prestigious scientific symposia, conferences, and summer schools providing our students with the opportunity to interact with world-famous researchers
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate, you will have:
- developed key, career-enhancing personal and employable skills such as time management, report writing, team-building, networking, and project management
- gained a range of critical interdisciplinary research skills
- benefited from a strong theoretical background, practical instrumentation skills and an intensive research project.
- Advanced analytical chemistry
- Nanotechnology and advanced materials
- Topics in advanced organic chemistry
- Research project
- Project management
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to obtain your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Successful graduates can establish careers in a wide range of industries, including:
- Chemical and material science
- Food and beverages (quality assurance and new formulation)
- Analytical laboratories
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in chemistry or a related discipline.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 80
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More