Physics addresses the meaning of everything.
From quantum information and grand unified theory to dark matter and high energy particle physics, this subject can take you anywhere.
Over the course of this four-year MPhys degree, you will explore the building blocks of matter and the vastness of the cosmos.
Intended primarily for those wishing to become professional physicists, our MPhys is broadly comparable with other European physics degrees.
You will learn how fundamental physics is applied across different disciplines and how it connects to new advances in engineering, medicine and mathematics.
Advanced subjects in your final year will challenge you at the highest intellectual level.
Studying physics at Swansea University gives you access to genuinely world-leading teaching and cutting edge facilities.
The MPhys will distinguish you as a committed, ambitious and talented physicist.
If you don’t have the necessary entry requirements to enter on to the first year of a degree, you may be offered a place on a degree course with an integrated foundation year.
Why Physics at Swansea?
Physics at Swansea University is a widely admired subject area which attracts students from far and wide.
Physics at Swansea is ranked:
- 7th in the UK (The Guardian University Guide, 2020).
- Top in the UK for student satisfaction (The Guardian 2020, The Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2019, The Complete University Guide, 2020).
- Ranked 2nd in the UK for teaching (The Guardian University Guide, 2020).
- Top in the UK for research intensity (The Complete University Guide, 2020).
Swansea University holds a TEF Gold Award, UK Government recognition of excellence in higher education teaching.
Your Physics Experience
A flexibly structured degree path means you have the opportunity to study abroad for a year or work in the industry for a year, either locally, nationally or overseas.
Daily contact with approachable teaching staff will shape your studies. You will be taught by world-leading scientists through lectures, laboratory work, feedback sessions, projects and small group sessions.
Research links with CERN and the anti-matter work of the ALPHA Collaboration ensure that teaching is informed by the latest research. They may also give you the chance to undertake a final year Masters project at CERN in Geneva.
Our Physics Society was voted the best Physics Society in the UK at the University Student Networks Annual Societies Forum 2017.
Physics Employment Opportunities
You’ll graduate with a range of transferable skills such as analysis, lab techniques, report writing and a high level of digital technology skills. You’ll also be highly numerate, which many employers value highly.
Swansea University helps you to prepare for your future career by helping you to find work placements and relevant part-time jobs, offering year in industry options, as well as introducing you to employers such as McLaren, CERN and British Nuclear Fuels. The Swansea Employability Academy also helps you with CV and interview preparation.
Careers and Employability
Swansea Employability Academy (SEA) will support you at each stage of your career journey helping you build a bright future.
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs.
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers.
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities.
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics.
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding.
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
Physics graduates are set for rewarding employment opportunities. Careers in any of the following fields are open to you.
- Nuclear Science
- Research Science
- Aerospace and Defence
- Medical Physics
- Financial Modelling
- Systems Engineering
- IT and Software Engineering
- Education and Science Communication