MPhil in Translation
Duration: 2 years (Full-time)
Place: Hong Kong
The Department of Translation at Lingnan is one of the largest in Hong Kong, with some of the best translation scholars in the Chinese speaking world. It has long been recognised as one of the top translation departments in Greater China, following a proud tradition of excellence in scholarship and teaching. In recent years, professors in the Department have published extensively in many important international journals. Our very strength is in translation theory and members bring their interdisciplinary interests to their research, which reflects the developments of Translation Studies. We are affiliated with two translation journals: Translation Quarterly and Translation and Cross-Cultural Studies. Earlier this year, the Head of Department was also appointed as the 2017 CETRA Chair Professor of Translation by the Center for Translation Studies at the University of Leuven (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven), Belgium.
In addition, the Department is uniquely endowed with a capacity to explore problems related to English-to-Chinese and Chinese-to-English translation. The Department offers not only opportunities for research on many aspects of Translation Studies, but also a well-developed and congenial community that provides strong support to its graduate students in advancing their intellectual development as they proceed through the PhD programme. Our former PhD students have become eminent professors at such prestigious institutions as Tsinghua University and Shanghai International Studies University. The PhD programme is a vigorous one aiming to prepare our students to meet effectively the research tasks that will be required of them in their future academic careers.
Application for Admission
Applicants who are interested in seeking admission to the MPhil programme should apply to the University directly. Successful applicants will normally be provided with a Postgraduate Studentship with a monthly stipend of HK$16,160* (US$1 = HK$7.8).
*rate subject to review
The University invites applications from 1 November 2017 to 26 January 2018. Late applications will be considered on an individual basis, subject to the availability of places.
General Admission Requirements
- An applicant for admission to candidature for the degree of MPhil should normally:
- a. hold a relevant bachelor's degree with first or second class honours or at an equivalent standard awarded by a tertiary education institution recognised for this purpose by the University; or
- b. have obtained an equivalent qualification; or
- c. have provided satisfactory evidence of academic and professional attainment.
- In addition to the above, an applicant whose degree is not from a tertiary institution in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country should obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a band score of 6.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent score in a recognised test, or an equivalent qualification to prove his/her language proficiency which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are required to fulfill additional requirements, if any, set by the programmes to which they apply for admission.
Programme Specific Admission Requirements
An applicant whose degree is not from a tertiary institution in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country should normally have TOEFL score of 600 (paper-based test) or 250 (computer-based test) or 100 (internet-based test) or a minimum band score of 7 in the IELTS, or an equivalent score in a recognised English language proficiency test, or an equivalent qualification to prove his/her language proficiency which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017