The Environment has been degrading at an alarming rate mainly due to unsustainable development and the unsustainable use of natural resources. Although environmental conservation has developed significantly over the past few decades, environmental problems have been evolving both in terms of nature and scale. Methods of resolving many environmental problems remain controversial.
The MPhil program aims to train postgraduate students to conduct independent research in Marine Environmental Science. Submission and successful defense of a thesis based on original research is required.
The Environment Science Programs have three main research themes as follows:
- Air and Water: Includes their relation to climate change.
- Environmental Change: Studies investigate on regional and local scales, and explore their global effects and implications.
- Economic and Social Impact: The effect of and solutions to environmental problems.
i. General Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree should have:
- Obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
You have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments*:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80#
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised Paper-Delivered Test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-scores: 5.5
*If your first language is English, and your bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was English, you will be waived from fulfilling the above English Language requirements.
#refers to the total score in one single attempt
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs
About the School
Located at the Clear Water Bay of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a research-focused institution that ranks first among top young universities in the world (Ti ... Read More