Learning objectives of the MPhil in Informatics, are the understanding of technology, its application, the development of critical thinking and scientific and technical communication. This course offers two specializations, Information Systems (I.S.) and Software Engineering (S.E.), where it is assumed that both develop a common knowledge base, particularly in modeling techniques, emerging technologies, project management and technological innovation; considering that these areas of expertise are the key to the two areas. However, specializations give different skills within the information technology field; S.I. students will be able to enhance the business through the use of technology and drive and lead S.I. of intervention activities using best practices; turn the E.S. students will be able to plan, manage and conduct development activities of highly complex software systems and to use emerging technology.
Why choose this programme
The MPhil in Informatics allows acquiring knowledge, specialized and necessary for better professional performance and development in the current Knowledge Society. The course provides specialized education in emerging areas: Information Systems and Software Engineering. This course has a mostly doctoral teaching staff at leading universities, which introduces a dynamic and plurality of views that enrich the education. During the two years, on the one hand, the course includes a series of seminars in emerging areas targeted by professionals prestigious, and teachers from foreign universities and, on the other hand, also allows students from the 1st courses cycle acquire more skills at the behavioral level, now so demand by the employers. As is typical in the Department of Economics, Management and Informatics (DEGI)courses, is provided a proximity education, which ensures the quality of training, and consequently the success of the MPhil placement in the labor market.
IT Consultant, Project Manager, Network Manager, Senior Programmer mobile solutions and multimedia
For specialization in Software Engineering students should have a set of skills:
- To plan, manage and conduct development activities of highly complex software systems;
- To know how to define technological solutions to solve complex organizational problems;
- To diagnose problems associated with the use of computer technologies and systems;
- To Know how to plan and manage the technology services support infrastructure in organizations;
- To ensure information security and supporting infrastructure;
- To understand, manage and control the risks associated with IT;
- To acquire critical thinking and reflective attitude;
- Become familiar with the R & D process in order to monitor the evolution of the area body of knowledge and to participate in them;
- To acquire leadership posture, sense of ethics and professional responsibility.
- Bachelor level degree in Management, Economics or any related area
- Minimum English Proficiency level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: B2 – Independent - Vantage or upper intermediate Evaluation of the CV
- An interview (live or Skype)
Objectives and Course structure
The MPhil is a post-graduate program aimed at preparing the student to take leadership roles in the knowledge and application of technologies, as well as critical thinking development and scientific and technical communication skills.
The course allows a common basis for structuring knowledge, namely concerning modeling techniques, emerging technologies, project management and technological innovation.
The course’s specific objectives are to know how to plan, control, and perform development activities of highly complex software systems using emergent technologies, and to delineate technological solutions to address organizations’ problems of high complexity. The planning and management of the infrastructure supporting the organizational technological services consist in another core field of expertise, as well as to ensure high-security standards and risk management. The professional ethics and leadership role are developed within critical thinking and responsible attitudes.
The course follows the best international practices and is aligned with the ACM/IEEE curriculum recommendations. Moreover, it is accredited by the national authority agency A3ES, and the UPT is the unique Portuguese private university to hold a global certificate quality.
The two-year course program comprises twelve mandatory curricular units providing a mix of theoretical underpinning, technical skills and perspectives on software engineering. It then culminates with an applied research and development experience that can be an internship, project or a thesis.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 26, 2018