Normal Duration: 2 years (Full-time)
The Science Unit at Lingnan University has five members whose research and teaching interests cover core areas of environmental science including ecology, evolution, geology, geography, urban studies, and environmental education. Key areas of research interest are (1) Evolution, Ecology, and Conservation and (2) Urban Climate, Air Pollution, and Environmental Health. As a liberal arts university, Lingnan University provides a unique postgraduate experience in Environmental Science by combining the expertise in the Science Unit with the three faculties (Arts, Social Sciences, and Business), as well as partnerships with local and international NGOs. This programme will equip students with a strong theoretical background in environmental sciences, as well as provide a diversity of hands-on, experiential experiences needed to be successful in this field.
Key research areas:
- Evolution, Ecology, and Conservation
- Phylogenetics and population genetics
- Freshwater and terrestrial ecology
- Surveys of the wildlife trade in Asia
- Development of new technologies to aid in wildlife trade enforcement
- Urban Climate, Air Pollution, and Environmental Health
- 3D-GIS and spatial modelling
- Environmental and social impact assessment (urban climate and air pollution)
- Environmental epidemiology and health technologies
- Environmental consciousness and sustainability
Admission Criteria and Requirements
- The admission of a student to the University is based on academic suitability and potential for a programme. There should be no discrimination on the grounds of sex, age, race, religion, ethnic origin or physical disability or other grounds.
- An applicant for admission to candidature for the degree of MPhil should normally:
- a) Hold a relevant bachelor's degree with first or second class honours or at an equivalent standard awarded by a tertiary education institution recognised for this purpose by the University; or
- b) Have obtained an equivalent qualification; or
- c) Have provided satisfactory evidence of academic and professional attainment.
- In addition to the above, an applicant whose degree is not from a tertiary institution in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country should obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a band score of 6.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent score in a recognised test, or an equivalent qualification to prove his/her language proficiency which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are required to fulfil additional requirements, if any, set by the programmes to which they apply for admission.
- (Note: For IELTS and TOEFL qualifications for admission to 2020-21 intake and onwards, the University only accepts results that are within the validity period, viz. 2 years, from the time of submission of an admission application for the specific intake cohort.)
- Some of the programmes have specified additional admission requirements. Applicants are required to fulfil additional requirements, if any, set by the programmes to which they apply for admission.
- The language for writing a thesis shall be determined at the time of admission. A thesis should be written in English except for candidates in the Department of Chinese or those who are otherwise approved to write their theses in Chinese or another language. An applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in a language other than English shall indicate such in the application form for admission for consideration of the relevant department. An applicant will not be prejudiced against during the admission process due to his/her choice of language for thesis writing, except that the admitting Department must consider fully its ability to supervise and examine that thesis in the proposed language.
Additional Admission Requirement(s)
- Relevant majors include a variety of majors from the environmental sciences. Students who do not meet this requirement but show potential to integrate ideas across a variety of disciplines to advance environmental sciences may be considered.
- Will accept Grade C or above in the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language, or grade C or above in English Language in the Overseas General Certificate of Education (GCE)
Information for General Enquiries:
- Contact Person: Ms Mei Chan
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone number: 2616-7412
- Fax number: 2616-5340
- Address: Room NAB116, 1/F, New Academic Block, Lingnan University, Fu Tei, Tuen Mun, New Territories, Hong Kong
About the School
Lingnan University is the liberal arts university in Hong Kong and we have the longest established tradition among the local institutions of higher education. Our history can be dated back to 1888, wh ... Read More