MPhil in English
Duration: 2 years (Full-time)
Place: Hong Kong
Contemporary English Studies is one exciting area of teaching and research. The Department of English offers a Honours Degree programme and a postgraduate programme in English Studies. For us, English Studies embraces the study of Contemporary Literature in English, Applied Linguistic Studies and Language Studies. We recognise English as an international discourse or lingua franca, no longer a literature and language belonging to Britain and North America.
Our departmental research interests include:
- Metaphor Theory
- English in Hong Kong
- World Englishes and English as a Lingua Franca
- Digital Literacies
- Discourse Analysis and Multimodal Discourse Analysis
- Second Language Pronunciation
- Critical Theory
- Asian Literatures in English
- Tragic Drama and Tragic Discourse
- Cross-Cultural Studies of Literature
- Travel Writing
- Literature in Adaptation
Details of staff research and teaching expertise can be found on the departmental website: www.LN.edu.hk/eng/staff.php.
The Department is deeply committed to Lingnan’s ethos of “student-centred learning” and “teaching the whole person”. For postgraduates, it offers
- regular, attentive and highly supportive supervision
- high-quality research support, with excellent library and computing facilities
- vigorous and friendly discussions in seminars and informally
- financial support to attend conferences and for archival research
- research links with similar departments internationally
- opportunities for undergraduate teaching
- collegial relations with staff who welcome and value our postgraduates
Application for Admission
Applicants who are interested in seeking admission to the MPhil programme should apply to the University directly. Successful applicants will normally be provided with a Postgraduate Studentship with a monthly stipend of HK$16,480* (US$1 = HK$7.8).
(*rate for 2018-19, subject to annual review)
The University invites applications from 1 November 2018 to 25 January 2019. Late applications will be considered on an individual basis, subject to the availability of places.
General Admission Requirements
- An applicant for admission to candidature for the degree of MPhil should normally:
a. hold a relevant bachelor's degree with first or second class honours or at an equivalent standard awarded by a tertiary education institution recognised for this purpose by the University; or
b. have obtained an equivalent qualification; or
c. have provided satisfactory evidence of academic and professional attainment.
- In addition to the above, an applicant whose degree is not from a tertiary institution in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country should obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a band score of 6.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent score in a recognised test, or an equivalent qualification to prove his/her language proficiency which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are required to fulfil additional requirements, if any, set by the programmes to which they apply for admission.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 29, 2018