Chemistry as a discipline is growing and changing rapidly. The traditional divisions of Chemistry into analytical, inorganic, organic and physical chemistry no longer reflect the dynamic and multidisciplinary nature of the field. Chemistry is, in fact, the "central science", having relevance in areas such as molecular biology, molecular physics, materials science, molecular engineering, biotechnology, environmental science and drug design.
As a postgraduate student in the Department of Chemistry at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, you will have the chance to study in programs that reflect the current, central, position of Chemistry and you will learn from diverse, innovative faculty at the forefront of their fields of research.
Our mission is to offer research and instructional opportunities in the emerging areas of Chemistry while maintaining a program rooted in the basics of the discipline. Postgraduate programs emphasize training in original research focusing on fundamental, interdisciplinary and applied areas. Complementing our formal degree programs is an active seminar program allowing students to meet prominent and international scientists who are pioneering the creation of new chemical knowledge.
The MPhil program is a research-based degree consisting of approved coursework and an original research thesis. It is designed with flexibility in order that students may tailor course selections according to their needs and interests in the field of Chemistry. Submission and successful defense of a thesis based on original research are required to obtain the degree.
Research and development within the Department focus on five main areas:
- Synthetic Chemistry: Synthetic methodology, organometallic chemistry, and catalysis.
- Molecular Dynamics and Structure of Complex Systems: Laser-based spectroscopy, dynamics of biomolecular and supramolecular systems, computational chemistry (protein/RNA folding).
- Material Sciences: Nanomaterials, biomaterials, and polymeric and organic electronic materials.
- Chemical Biology: Protein organization in metabolism, signal transduction.
- Analytical/Environmental Chemistry: Method development and applications for environmental and bioanalytical chemistry, and atmospheric chemistry.
The department has international links with major chemical industries and has played a key role in setting up university-wide collaborations involving universities, research institutions and companies in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Japan, Europe and the US.
i. General Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree should have:
- obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
You have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments*:
- TOEFL-iBT 80
- TOEFL-pBT 550
- TOEFL-Revised Paper-Delivered Test 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module) Overall score: 6.0 and all sub-scores: 5.5
*If your first language is English, and your bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was English, you will be waived from fulfilling the above English Language requirements.
For more program details, please visit here.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 30, 2017