Bioscience is a diverse but often converging field of study that applies knowledge to develop biological solutions to sustain, restore, and improve the quality of life for humans, plants, and animals. Biomedical Engineering is the application of engineering principles and design concepts to biology and medicine for advanced healthcare in diagnostics, monitoring, and therapy. Bioscience and Biomedical Engineering are strongly interdisciplinary which involve Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, IT, and Computer Science.
The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) Program in Bioscience and Biomedical Engineering aims to provide a well-rounded education as well as rigorous research training to prepare students to become versatile and knowledgeable professionals. Areas of research include regenerative medicine and tissue engineering, molecular and cell biology, precision medicine, plant biology, Chinese medicine, healthy aging, biostatistics, bioinformatics, and data mining.
MPhil graduates should possess a good mastery of knowledge in bioscience and biomedical technologies, be able to apply engineering principles to solve problems in medicine and biology, and generate novel solutions.
On successful completion of the MPhil program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the breadth of knowledge across the field of bioscience and biomedical engineering;
- Show mastery of knowledge in their areas of specialization and convey the results of their research to people in the profession or an audience in a clear, succinct, and effective manner;
- Design and conduct original research and effectively apply their research to solving problems in bioscience and biomedical engineering; and
- Integrate the basic concepts of biotechnology and experimentation to engage in hands-on practices for the implementation of such techniques to facilitate the development of the biotechnology industry.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
i. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if:
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
This program is for HKUST(Guangzhou) Pilot Scheme Admission.
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs.
About the School
Located at the Clear Water Bay of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a research-focused institution that ranks first among top young universities in the world (Ti ... Read More