The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) Program aims to train students to conduct independent research in Atmospheric Environmental Science. A candidate for an MPhil degree is expected to demonstrate knowledge in the discipline and to synthesize and create new knowledge, making a contribution to the field.
The Division’s main areas of focus are:
- Atmospheric science and air pollution
- Oceanic science and water pollution
- Climate change policy and adaptations
- Healthy living environment
We also work at the points where these areas intersect, such as the scientific understanding of management strategies and policy formulations.
HKUST has excellent central facilities and equipment to support the Program’s teaching and learning. These include: Environmental Central Facility, the Air Quality Research Supersite Facility, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) Laboratory, realtime air quality and meteorological forecasting systems, satellite receiving systems, and Geographical Information System.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
i. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if:
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs
About the School
Located at the Clear Water Bay of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a research-focused institution that ranks first among top young universities in the world (Ti ... Read More