The 12 month MArch Design course focuses on the development and application of specialist architectural knowledge and advanced design techniques and technologies.
This course was originally established to respond to the increasing competition in the professional procurement of buildings and the growing demand for specialist knowledge and skills in the pursuit of architectural excellence. It offers the opportunity to concentrate on architectural or urban design, humanities, environmental design and technology to a high level of sophistication without the need to work within a single specialist area.
During this course, you will spend some time on studio-based exploration and innovation across a broad range of options, working alongside architects, urban designers and technologists in the design studios, seminars and lectures.
The MArch Design does not convey professional accreditation in the UK.
- As part of its remit, the Department of Architecture and Built Environment will develop your vocational skills and the environmentally responsible attitude necessary in today's rapidly changing world.
- The department enjoys strong collaborative links with overseas institutions.
- This interdisciplinary programme shares modules with other postgraduate courses within the department.
- This course does not convey professional accreditation in the UK.
Presessional English for Academic Purposes
The Centre for English Language Education (CELE) runs a 5-week Built Environment English language and study skills course. This course is designed in collaboration with the Department of Architecture and Built Environment to prepare students going onto Architecture and Built Environment programmes.
If you are close to the English language level you need to go on to your MSc course and you meet the entry requirements for the relevant CELE course, you may be eligible for a joint offer. This means that:
- you only need one TIER 4 visa and CAS
- you take a 10 or 5-week English Language and Academic Skills preparation course, and then go onto your MSc course
- you have a guaranteed place on the MSc course
- your progression to the MSc is automatic, provided you attend and complete all the coursework
This course centres around the development and application of specialist architectural knowledge and advanced architectural design techniques.
Through a range of specialist lectures, seminars and design studio modules you will explore current and future issues facing urban designers, architects and technologists, and develop the skills, knowledge and awareness required in the fast-moving world of contemporary architectural research and practice.
The MArch Design is offered on a full-time basis over one year.
In the autumn and spring semesters, you will complete 120 credits worth of modules. This will include a major research-led design 'package' in one of the specialist areas offered in each semester, consisting of a studio project and seminar series, as well as an additional lecture/seminar module.
Over the summer semester you will complete a 60-credit written dissertation.
Typical subjects include:
- Architectural theory and design
- Environmental design
- Urban Design and Regeneration
- Sustainable Tall Buildings Design
- Digital Architecture and Technology
The Department of Architecture and Environment has an international reputation for its teaching and research, and collaborates with leading institutions worldwide in the fields of architecture, urban design and sustainable energy technology.
It is renowned for its commitment to interdisciplinary teaching and research, and therefore our postgraduates are internationally recognised as having the skills needed to meet the contemporary challenges facing the built environment professions.
The MArch Design provides the foundation for advanced career opportunities in architectural practice and academia. Students are encouraged to consider continuing to study for a higher degree by research - MPhil or PhD.
This school offers programs in:
- Entry requirements: 2.1 (Upper 2nd class hons degree or international equivalent)
- Other requirements: An architectural design work portfolio must be submitted.
- IELTS: 6.5 (no less than 6.0 in any element)
Last updated July 31, 2017