Richmond University’s MA in Visual Arts Management & Curating equips students with the entrepreneurial knowledge and professional skills required to critically engage with global visual cultures of the twenty-first century and become innovative, creative and resilient leaders in their fields. The program is taught in our Kensington campus in Central London where our students benefit from studying in close proximity to Kensington Palace, Royal Albert Hall, Victoria and Albert Museum, Saatchi Gallery and many more art galleries and institutions. The close proximity and ease of access to world-class art galleries, museums, libraries, and art institution are vital to the foundation of this course.
Richmond University’s MA in Visual Arts Management and Curating prepares students in the professional knowledge, skills, and experience required for career placement in visual arts institutions and the creative cultural industries. The program is unique in that it straddles the publicly funded (Not for Profit) and commercial visual arts sector with a strong emphasis on education and curation. Students will learn how museums, galleries, auction houses, creative startups, collectors and funders operate in today’s increasingly global art world.
Students in this program are considered to be junior research colleagues and emerging arts professionals and as such are encouraged to participate in a range of exhibition openings, networking events, artist talks, festivals, and conferences. Many classes are taught externally in museums and galleries, and students leave with extensive contacts from which they can develop and expand their own professional network.
This program offers sustained engagement with the visual arts from the intercultural perspective. It trains students in marketing, management, curating and gallery education within a visual arts context.
This program brings art and design historians, theoreticians, professional practitioners, and studio artists together to:
- Offer a thorough grounding in the interdisciplinary, theoretical and methodological issues related to the study of the visual.
- Equip students with the professional skills and experience to work successfully in a variety of arts and cultural industries.
Optional Accredited Internship
The optional accredited Internship integrates theory with practice. Students will be challenged to relate classroom situations to the workplace, make contacts which may prove valuable to their future employment prospects, and gain confidence in their capabilities, creativity and communication skills. Internships are designed to be both demanding and rewarding. The internship will provide an opportunity to deploy the skills learned in courses in a real-world setting, as students produce an assessed record of their experiences.
Top 5 Reasons to study Visual Arts Management & Curating
- The ability to study in Central London which provides students with a unique intercultural location and engagement with art in London – a hub and a global scene that attracts the best creative talents in the arts and design industries from all over the world.
- Benefit from small classes (average 10–15 students), more contact time and full academic support from faculty engaged in leading research in the art industry.
- The ability to learn first-hand by frequent on-site visits to the world’s most prestigious museums, galleries and art exhibitions.
- Attain a US accredited degree that increases your employment opportunities internationally.
- Benefit from an integrated internship that will allow you to apply what you have learned in a real-world workplace setting.
A first degree in any discipline with a minimum classification of 2.2 (Lower Second Class Honours) or its international equivalent.
English Language Requirements (Non-Native English Speakers)
- IELTS 6.5 with 5.5 in each Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
- TOEFL (IBT) 87 overall with Listening 21, Reading 22, Writing 21, Speaking 23
- Pearsons Academic Test of English (PTE) 62
- Cambridge English: Proficiency – Level C2 or Level C1
About the School
Richmond is an American International University, established in 1972 and based in West London with two campuses in Richmond Hill and close to Kensington High Street. Since 1981, the university has be ... Read More