MA in Urban Design
"Urban Design - the knowledge and skills necessary to design and deliver better urban places."
The MA Urban Design is jointly run by the School and the Welsh School of Architecture and more information about this course is available at MA in Urban Design - Welsh School of Architecture.
The MA Urban Design uses design practice, theory, development and control practices to inform design processes, and uses studio teaching focused on local development possibilities to develop creative, practical and sustainable solutions to a range of typical urban design problems.
The course seeks to produce students who can:
- Think three-dimensionally and creatively manipulate space at the intermediate scale between architecture and planning;
- Analyse the qualities of localities and places and respond to complex and often contradictory community aspirations;
- Critically appraise development (built and proposed) and make suggestions for improvement, and develop improved policy and control practices;
- Conceptualise and draw development proposals at different scales from the territorial to the block scale;
- Be able to recognise and add quality in all development situations;
- Test developments for their sustainability, economic viability and constituency;
- Understand how to approach implementation through inter-professional and inter-agency collaboration and consensus building.
This MA is recognised by the Royal Town Planning Institute as a 'specialist' masters for those who have completed at least a three-year RTPI recognised undergraduate spatial planning degree, allowing completion of the RTPI's educational requirements for membership. For further details visit the Royal Town Planning Institute website.
It is also accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), allowing completion of the educational requirement for RICS membership. For further details visit the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors website.
This MA is suitable for graduates in urban planning, architecture, landscape design and engineering. Graduates from other disciplines will also be considered. All applicants will be required to demonstrate a competency in graphics and design by way of a portfolio.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 27, 2018