The MA in Translation Studies (MATS) is a two-year program designed to train highly skilled translators in the areas of business and commerce, science and technology, literary translation, and translation of media texts, as well as translation for international organizations.
The acquisition of practical translation competence is complemented by advanced training in the use of translation technology and work placement experience. A theoretical component encourages sophisticated intellectual enquiry, thus equipping students with a sound foundation for professional work and doctoral study in the field of translation studies.
In May of 2014, the program officially obtained the validation from the University of Geneva, earning it the Faculty of Translation and Interpreting (FTI) Quality Label from the University of Geneva.
Graduates of the program are equipped to:
- Work as in-house translators in various sectors (media, industry, tourism, advertising, insurance, banks, research institutions, public administration), as well as international organizations (e.g. United Nations agencies)
- Specialize as editors, revisers, terminologists or translation project managers.
- Start their own businesses as translation agencies or take the competitive examination to become sworn (certified) translators working for the courts of justice in Qatar.
- Pursue careers in teaching or opt for advanced research at PhD level.
- A two-year full-time program that requires 36 credits with 6 required courses, 2 electives, an internship and a thesis.
- All courses are conducted face-to-face and classroom-based taught in English and take place at HBKU in Doha, Qatar.
Students will be taught by faculty members of HBKU, who are leading scholars and researchers in their fields, or by distinguished visiting professors and experts working in the field of translation.
The program is benchmarked according to the highest international standards and has received the quality label from the University of Geneva.
Admission & Application Requirements
In order to be considered for admission to the Master of Arts in Translation Studies or Audiovisual Translation, applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, and strong language proficiency in English and Arabic.
Applicants are required to take the IELTS or TOEFL exam in order to demonstrate their proficiency in English. The IELTS or TOEFL score must be no more than two years old.This requirement will not be waived under any circumstances. An English-language related major will not exempt applicants from this requirement, neither will holding any specific passport.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 12, 2017