Students with a 4-year degree in English or related subjects (e.g. English / Applied Linguistics / Linguistics / Education) will do 39 credits.
Students with a 3-year degree in English or related subjects with 2-years' teaching experience will do 48 credits.
The program is offered in three stages. The first stage is the Certificate semester. A diploma can be obtained upon completion of the next semester. Finally, completing the third semester will give students the option of graduating with a Master's degree.
A Bachelor's (Honours) degree in English or related subject with second division or CGPA 2.5 and above.
Applicants who do not have this background but have a Bachelor's degree in the related subject must have two years' experience of teaching.
Qualifying in admission test in English consisting of written test and interview.
Compulsory Courses (to be taken by all students)
- TSL 501 Foundation of Linguistics: Syntax and Semantics; Phonetics, Phonology, and Morphology (3 credits)
- TSL 502 Methods and Practice of Teaching ESL (3 credits)
- TSL 503 Syllabus, Curriculum and Materials Design and Evaluation (3 credits)
- TSL 504 Second Language Acquisition and Psycholinguistics (3 credits)
- TSL 505 Language Testing and Evaluation (3 credits)
- TSL 506 Use of Technology in ELT (3 credits)
- TSL 507 Teaching Practicum 1 (3 credits)
- TSL 508 Teaching Practicum 2 (3 credits)
- TSL 509 Classroom Research and Research Methods in ELT (3 credits)
- TSL 510 Dissertation (6 credits)
List of Electives (Open to Choice)
- TSL 601 Sociolinguistics and New Englishes (3 credits)
- TSL 602 Pragmatics and Discourse Analysis (3 credits)
- TSL 603 English for Specific and Academic Purpose (3 credits)
- TSL 604 ELT Leadership and Management (3 credits)
- TSL 605 Critical Discourse Analysis (3 credits)
- TSL 606 Teaching Language through Literature (3 credits)
- TSL 607 The History of English Language Teaching (3 credits)
- TSL 608 Statistics for EFL Researchers (3 credits)
Candidates with the third division or CGPA below 2.50 at any level of education may not apply.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 11, 2018