- Duration (years): 1.5 years
- Qualification Awarded: TESOL - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MA, 1.5 years or 3 semesters)
- Level of Qualification: 2nd Cycle ( Master Degree)
- Language of Instruction: English
- Mode of Study: Full time/part time
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 90
Profile of the Programme
- To provide students with a strong professional foundation for developing practical teaching skills in relation to TESOL;
- To further students’ understanding of English language teaching.
- To develop in the student an understanding of a range of disciplines and areas of professional activity which underpin the field of TESOL and constitute its focus and its concerns;
- To provide students with a solid theoretical foundation and the necessary professional skills in TESOL;
- To equip the students with the linguistic knowledge, cultural understanding, and pedagogical training essential to the various aspects of TESOL;
- To provide theoretical and/or practical support for actual situations within the language classroom;
- To develop students’ skills in critical reading and the ability to design a research project;
- To provide the theoretical and/or practical basis required for the study of a doctoral degree.
This is a postgraduate degree that opens many career opportunities. English is the language of global communication, and demand for TESOL professionals worldwide is greater than ever before. Our graduates can work for universities and other public and private schools, international corporations, governments, and in private practice locally and abroad. They can teach English to people of all ages and all walks of life, administering and designing ESOL courses and curricula, and developing new teaching methods. The MA TESOL is increasingly the degree of preference for employers both domestically and abroad.
Access to Further Studies
The graduate programme will provide the basis for acceptance to a doctoral degree in TESOL or Applied Linguistics.
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
The student must complete 90 ECTS and all program requirements. A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 3.0 is required.
Upon successful completion of this programme, the students should be able to:
- critically analyse relevant professional issues affecting current educational practices in the area of English language learning and teaching;
- reflect on and evaluate the quality of language teaching and learning;
- locate and critically assess the relevance and value of recent research in the area of English language learning and teaching;
- design, evaluate, develop and implement lessons and materials in English language teaching;
- design and evaluate course curricula in relation to English language teaching and learning;
- design, develop and implement research in their chosen area of specialisation;
- fully and confidently defend their ideas on language teaching and learning both orally and in writing;
- synthesise, at a high level, data and ideas from secondary sources for seminar presentations and assignments;
- critically assess and reflect upon one’s own practice and development as an English language teacher.
Scholarships - Financial Aid
The University offers scholarships and financial aid to full-time students, in the form of academic merit scholarships, financial-aid assistance, athletic scholarships, and on-campus work-study programmes.
About the School
UNIC is the largest university in Cyprus, with over 12,000+ students, from over 70 countries across the globe, coming together in an innovative and transformative learning space.