The aim of the qualification is to train psychologist professionals who master the theories and methods of the science of psychology at an advanced level, who are proficient in the various fields of psychology, who possess the skills and techniques of the psychologist profession and are able to apply these to help individuals, groups or organizations develop and improve.
Further aims are to present recent theoretical and practical material, to establish professional skills and commitment for the profession within the field of psychology at a level that gives a solid foundation of knowledge that enables the student to practice psychology as a vocation independently at a master level, to participate in postgraduate courses and to attend further training in doctoral schools.
A master of psychology is characterized by expansive and integrated professional and theoretical knowledge, the creative adaptation of the methods of academic knowledge, psychological responsiveness and communicational efficacy through the utilization of personal resources along with a high degree of professional commitment.
CLINICAL AND HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY SPECIALISATION
The aim of the Clinical and Health Psychology program is to integrate clinical knowledge and current research in order to prepare our students to both practice and research on health and clinical fields. Our program provides the opportunity to advance professional practice in both clinical psychology and clinical health psychology.
This two-year Clinical and Health Psychology MA Program trains mental health professionals to work in both primary care settings and traditional clinical psychology settings. Our program also prepares students for further studies for doctorate (PhD) degree in clinical and health psychology.
Areas of competences provided in our training:
- Clinical and diagnostic work
- Helping and motivating communication
- Health promotion programs and their evaluation
- Planning clinical and health psychology research
- Critical evaluation of clinical research
COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGY AND COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT SPECIALISATION
The specialisation is a research intensive program focused on understanding perception, attention, memory, numerical cognition and language from a developmental and a neurocognitive perspective. The program offers courses in a tutorial setting with small groups. Intensive laboratory practice includes:
- Cognitive neuroscience specialization investigating electrophysiological and functional changes
- Behavioural correlates of perceptual and cognitive abilities
- Cognitive developmental specialization investigating the underlying neural mechanisms of the development of cognition and social learning.
Levels of investigation:
- Psychophysics, electrophysiology (EEG, ERP)
- Functional brain imaging
- Eye tracking
COUNSELLING AND SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY SPECIALISATION
The specialisation is an intensive program of studies with a special emphasis on psychological counselling. The program stresses skills training and field preparation and is designed to thoroughly equip students with the necessary knowledge to be effective professionals in the realm of:
- educational (school),
- family-, crisis counselling,
- and career guidance.
Research groups and workshops
- Differential psychology and group testing methodology
- Learning in school environment research team
- Teachers’ career socialization research team
- Counselling Centre (life, mental health and career advice)
The Counselling and Educational Psychology Specialisation is intended for:
- students who want a thorough grounding in the science and art of psychology,
- people already employed in counselling who need higher level training to advance,
- people in associated fields who desire a lateral change into educational, family, crisis counselling and career guidance psychology.
DEVELOPMENTAL AND CLINICAL CHILD PSYCHOLOGY SPECIALISATION
The specialisation provides up-to-date knowledge on typical and atypical development. The experts of our clinical fields and research groups train students to apply their knowledge to real-world practice. We prepare students to be able to start to work in clinical institutions treating children and/or to do research as PhD students.
Research groups and workshops:
- Applied Developmental Psychology Research Group
- Developmental Psychophysiology Research Group
- Social Minds Research Group
- Childhood Mental Disorders Research Group
The specialisation is intended for:
- students who want to acquire up-to-date knowledge on typical and atypical development as well as methodical skills in clinical and research work with children
- students who intend to continue their studies towards: postgraduate specialisation in clinical child psychology, educational psychology or counselling psychology or PhD studies
SOCIAL AND ORGANISATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY SPECIALISATION
The specialisation provides a sound theoretical background for studying:
- specific organisations or large-scale economic and societal processes
- from the perspective of social psychology and decision-making research
We apply mainstream theoretical frameworks of our disciplines and spice them up with the specific Hungarian and Central-East European contexts.
Research on social, political and organisational issues:
- Risk taking of entrepreneurs and organisations
- National identification, international relations, country image
- Public opinion and the role of conspiracy theories
- Media studies, new media
- Investment decisions
- Internet shopping
- Students will be able to utilize their knowledge in
- Human resource management
- Organisational development
- Public opinion research
- Political counselling
- Advertisement and marketing
Strength of program
The Institute of Psychology at the Faculty of Education and Psychology, Eötvös Loránd University is situated in the heart of Budapest and is one of the main institutions of Hungarian psychological education and research. Students can learn in English as well as in Hungarian on both BA and MA educational levels. The number of our lecturers exceeds 100 and we maintain good professional relations with more than 50 organizations which offer internship possibilities to our students. We lay special emphasis on research and development projects, where international cooperation and the collaboration of our students are both priorities.
The purpose is to train psychologists, who are apprised of the different fields of psychology. They know the professional methods and instruments, and are able to use them in order to get acquainted with individuals, groups or organizations, and develop them if necessary. They possess adequate knowledge to continue their studies in a doctoral program.
Admission requirements - Language requirement
A very good command of English is required during the oral entrance exam and throughout the whole program. The language knowledge is assessed and evaluated during the interview.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 26, 2017