The Master of Arts in Politics and Security Program offers an interdisciplinary curriculum in areas of politics, comprehensive security and international relations based on international standards of teaching. The program is designed for young people who wish to broaden their education and gain the knowledge and skills necessary for professional or academic careers in areas of politics, security, international relations, conflict prevention and international development.
Students have the opportunity to meet and to be taught by leading academics, experts, and representatives of international organizations. Because the program meets international educational standards, it attracts many of the most talented and qualified graduate students throughout Central Asia.
The program is accredited by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Kyrgyz Republic, and supported by the OSCE Centre in Bishkek, interested OSCE participating and partner States, and other parties. The international partner institutions, the Board of Trustees and Advisory Council of the OSCE Academy provide assistance in elaborating curricular details, conducting classes, organizing internships, and carrying out other activities.
MA program in Politics and Security accepts up to 30 graduate students each year. Students are carefully selected through a competitive recruitment process from all Central Asian countries (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan), Afghanistan and Mongolia. Applications from the OSCE participating States outside the region are considered in exceptional cases.
- Combine rigorous theoretical and practical training through multidisciplinary full-term courses and practice-oriented short modular courses;
- Provide students with contemporary approaches and tools to work in the fields of political science, international relations, security, democratization and human rights, sustainable development - both in general and as applied in the Central Asian context;
- Expand students' professional opportunities by improving their competencies necessary for their future careers;
- Introduce students to the professional world through the internship program, use of practitioners as guest lecturers, and a network of professionals, Academy alumni, and current students;
- Familiarize students with the OSCE mission, principles, and activities within its three dimensions with a special focus on Central Asia;
- Establish a stimulating learning environment and provide close interaction between students, faculty and administration; and
- Encourage friendship and respect in a culturally, nationally, and ethnically diverse environment of the Academy.
- Since its first launch from 2004, the program had graduated 324 alumni who have now been successfully continuing their professional and academic development in and outside the region.
Learning Outcomes of the Program
Learning outcomes and competencies
After completion of the program, students must gain the following abilities, skills and competencies:
- Ability to apply major theories and concepts of political science, international relations and security studies;
- Ability to apply obtained knowledge of interdisciplinary character with a particular focus on Central Asia and contemporary issues (such as migration, sustainable development, energy issues, human rights, nationalism, political Islam etc);
- Ability to independently conduct research, including developing research questions and appropriate methods, data collection and analysis, and drawing conclusions;
- Critical and objective thinking skills, writing skills, presentation skills and ability to express and formulate ideas on a professional level;
- Ability to conduct and manage projects in international teams (international and non-governmental organizations, think tanks and research institutions, and also governmental bodies dealing with foreign affairs);
- Ability to contemplate decisions the OSCE takes on various levels.
Application deadline – 15 January 2019, 11 pm (Bishkek time)
Applicants must meet the following admission criteria:
- Successful completion of an academic degree of higher education (BA, Specialist Diploma) in a related academic field;
- Advanced level of English;
- Age 35 or younger as of 1 September 2019;
- Citizenship of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan and Mongolia. A limited number of students from other OSCE participating States can be accepted to the programs.
Full tuition fee waiver;
- A stipend of 300 euros per month (16 months);
- Round trip travel to Bishkek;
- Medical insurance (except for the citizens of Kyrgyzstan);
- Funded internship opportunities in Europe for top GPA students.
TO APPLY PLEASE, REGISTER AND COMPLETE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM: https://osce.embark.com/apply/politicsandsecurity
If you have any questions write to:
- MA in Politics and Security Program: MA-PS@osce-academy.net
Only successful candidates will be contacted for tests and interviews!