- Start: Autumn 2020
- Place of study: Linköping
- Level: Second cycle
All children deserve the opportunity to learn and reach their full potential. This master’s program will increase your knowledge about learning processes with a focus on experience-based learning, using different modes and methods. The advanced courses in educational science will help teachers and other educators understand how a variety of outdoor environments can be used as resources for learning and knowledge.
Outdoor education is a diverse field of research and practice. This program derives from the Scandinavian perspective on outdoor education - the concept of "uteskola", literally meaning outdoor school.
Outdoor learning for all ages
You will gain theoretical and practical knowledge on how to teach different school subjects outdoors, in natural as well as urban environments. We explore the city, nature reserves, and other green settings, playgrounds and school grounds as learning environments. Examples of educational settings come from the entire school system, pre-school up to adult learning. You will also have the possibility to focus on your particular interests and field of practice.
In addition to classroom lectures and seminars, students work in pairs or groups with weekly assignments in outdoor natural and cultural landscapes. All program courses include individually written assignments and you will collect your own empirical data for your thesis, using qualitative or quantitative or mixed research methods.
Provide young people with sustainability skills
One essential question in societies worldwide is how to sustain our planet’s functions and resources and at the same time improve well-being for a growing population. Environmental and sustainability education focusses on possible ways to work with the knowledge, skills, and values needed for contributing and participating in a sustainable society. Furthermore, the program explores what research has revealed about the role of nature and green settings for learning, health, and well-being.
As a graduate, you will be able to work with pedagogical development in schools or other educational fields in society. The program also prepares you for future Ph.D. studies and research.
The program trains students to use environments outside the traditional classroom for teaching and learning. The program strives to have a good balance between theoretical depth and practical professional skills. A point of departure for teaching and learning is the natural and cultural landscape. Those experiences are aligned with contemporary research through lectures and seminars. Outdoor education is related to environmental and sustainability education and disciplinary teaching in different subjects.
The aim is that students shall develop a scientific foundation for qualified professional work with a focus on outdoor education and environmental and sustainability education. The program aims to develop professional competence and knowledge in the above areas. The program shall enable the foundation for the development of scientific and practical competence. The program will also prepare the students for future doctoral studies and research.
The student shall show
Knowledge and understanding
- knowledge and understanding in the fields of outdoor education and environmental and sustainability education
- deepened insight into contemporary research and professional work in the fields of outdoor education and environmental and sustainability education
- deepened methodological knowledge in educational sciences
Skills and abilities
- ability to critically and systematically integrate knowledge in both theory and practice, and analyze, evaluate and handle complex questions and situations
- skills to use the natural and cultural landscape as a resource in one owns profession
- ability to critically, independently and creatively identify and formulate research questions, plan and with adequate methods conduct qualified tasks within given time frames and thereby contribute to the development of knowledge and to evaluate this work
- ability to orally and in a written form clearly account for and discuss conclusions and the knowledge and arguments that behinds them in dialogue with different groups
- skills that are required for participating in research and development work or independently participate in pedagogical activities and relate to international research
Ability to evaluate and approach
- ability to within the discipline make judgments in accordance with relevant scientific, societal and ethical aspects and show awareness of ethical aspects on research and development work
- insight of potentials and barriers of science, it’s a role in society and human responsibility for how science is used
- ability to identify the requirement of additional knowledge and to take responsibility for further development of knowledge
The above goals are concretized in the course syllabuses
Following the final examination, students will have gained theoretical knowledge and practical experience within the field of outdoor education for working with pedagogical development in schools or other educational fields in society.
Alternatively, students may continue to conduct research leading to a doctoral degree.
- A Teacher or Pre-school Teacher Degree of at least 180 ECTS credits
Bachelor's Degree, equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen, with a major in Education or the equivalent.
- English, corresponding to the level of English achieved in Swedish upper secondary education (English B/ English 6). (Exemptions from Swedish)
About the School
In close collaboration with the business world and society, Linköping University (LiU) conducts world-leading, boundary-crossing research in fields including materials science, IT and hearing. In the ... Read More