Security is the insurance policy of the nation. It is a responsibility that we all must share. The M.A. in International and Civil Security program at Khalifa University will prepare you to be a leader in this field.
The 21st century combines the promise of great progress with the resurgence of old dangers and the emergence of new ones. Those dangers include terrorism, warfare, weapons of mass destruction, and natural disasters. Some of these dangers are rooted in technology, others in society, and still others in nature itself. Attaining the strategic vision of the UAE will require a deep understanding of those threats, and the knowledge and skills to address them.
This unique Master’s Program is being offered by Khalifa University’s Institute of International and Civil Security. The Institutes’ mission is to become a leading academic center for supporting research, teaching and policy analysis in the field of security studies. In addition to what takes place inside the classroom, the institute hosts speakers, workshops, events, and works with other institutions- within government, academia, and the private sector – to advance security research, education, training, and policy-making.
- To provide current and future security professionals with sophisticated knowledge of the U.A.E., regional and global security environment.
- To provide current and future security professionals with the skills to produce, analyze and apply security-related research.
- To apply higher education and research towards enhancing U.A.E., regional, and international security.
Our graduates will have demonstrated:
- Sophisticated knowledge of the international, national, and regional security environment, to include the relevant theories and history of conflict.
- Sophisticated knowledge of natural and human-caused threats to international, national, regional, and civil security.
- An understanding of the relationships between and within the different levels of government and the private sector relative to international, national, regional and civil security.
- Sophisticated knowledge of offensive and defensive technologies relevant to international, national, regional, and civil security.
Our graduates will have demonstrated:
- The quantitative and qualitative research and analysis skills needed to contribute to the security field as practitioners, researchers, and educators.
- The written and verbal skills needed to effectively communicate within the field of international and civil security.
- The organizational skills needed to contribute to the security field as practitioners, researchers, and educators.
- The skills to apply appropriate technologies to support national, international, and civil security.
Our graduates will have the ability to integrate and efficiently utilize the theoretical frameworks, knowledge, and skills necessary for contributing to international, national, and civil security.
- Security and Foreign Policy Analysis
- Intelligence Analysis
- Academic/ Researcher
- Emergency Management
- International Humanitarian Assistance
- Law Enforcement
- Critical Infrastructure Protection
- Cyber Security
- Border and Customs
- Public Health and Safety
- Private-sector security positions
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 out of 4.0, or equivalent (e.g. upper second-class honors in a UK-style degree, from a reputable accredited institution).
- A minimum level of English proficiency in the form of either:
- iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or equivalent, or
- Overall academic IELTS score of 6.5, or
- 1550 EmSAT English score.
- A minimum quantitative score of 150 in the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for admission to all programs, with the exception of Master of Engineering in Health, Safety and Environment Engineering and the Master of Arts in International and Civil Security, where a minimum threshold is not set. Applicants for all programs should attempt all three sections of the GRE.
- A minimum of two referee recommendations (provided via online form).
- Statement of purpose (500-1,000 words).
- Admission interview.
About the School
The internationally top-ranked Khalifa University is the one university in the UAE with the research and academic programs that address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challen ... Read More