Description of the Program
The goal of the MA degree program in International Relations is to train highly qualified experts with a broad education in the social sciences who can interpret Hungary's place and role in the international situation and in Europe, and know the theoretical and practical context of international relations. The graduates of the program have a high level of proficiency in language and negotiation techniques. Their historical, sociological and professional education enables them to think in terms of analysis and synthesis. The knowledge of their subject matter enables them to understand and predict the economic, legal and political processes of the international system. They are able to put the perspectives of the East-Central European region into context amongst the many challenges of international relations. The graduates know and understand the developmental tendencies of the regions outside Europe and have thorough disciplinary knowledge in the areas of civilization, world economy, international law, political science as well as practical skills in diplomacy, protocol, and negotiation techniques. Equipped with these pieces of knowledge and skills they are properly qualified for pursuing their studies in a doctoral degree program.
The graduates of the MA degree program have a thorough knowledge of:
- the theories of international relations,
- global economic processes and their theoretical interpretation,
- the historical, legal and political aspects of international relations,
- the policy of the European Union and its institutional and economic system,
- the history and present status of Hungarian foreign policy,
- the theories that address the relationship between the international system and civilizations,
- regional and civilisation studies,
- problem-solving techniques sued in international analyses,
- professional and ethical norms.
The graduates of the MA degree program are qualified for:
- carrying out independent work in the special fields of international studies,
- understanding, predicting and shaping international and European processes of integration,
- preparing and making decisions in the special fields of the international economy, politics, and law,
- participating in professional and scientific discussions,
- applying integrated knowledge in a wide range of fields in the area of social sciences and foreign policy analysis,
- building international relations,
- conducting negotiations in their special area in a foreign language,
- performing various tasks as diplomats, international experts, researchers, journalists and employees of state administration and multinational companies.
Personal abilities and skills required for the practice of the qualification:
- ability to see the essence of issues and creativity,
- ability to form an independent professional opinion,
- problem-centered approach and ability to solve problems,
- responsible behavior regarding the treatment of knowledge and information when performing international analyses,
- participation in continuing education and openness to self-education,
- tolerant behavior regarding the analyzed phenomena and the theoretical paradigms that they have come to know,
- critical attitude to the analysed phenomena and the theoretical paradigms that they have come to know,
- cooperative attitude: the ability to work in teams,
- methodological awareness.
For a successful application please follow the steps below:
- To apply, register on our application site (https://apply.pte.hu/), and start your application.
- Fill the application form, upload the necessary documents and submit your application!
- After you have submitted your application, you are going to receive information on further steps.
- If we received your application fee, we are going to start the evaluation of your application.
The applicant has to submit the following documents by uploading them to the online application portal of the University of Pécs:
- BA Degree in International Relations (For lack of the above degree, other degrees can also be accepted if they include the following disciplines: social science (sociology, philosophy, anthropology), law, economy, political science, history, culture, and linguistics - please attach a transcript for the courses you have completed (title, credits)).
- Certified and translated (if originals are not in English) copy of school transcripts showing satisfactory completion of senior high school.
- Europass CV in English.
- Motivation letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) in 3000 to 3500 characters.
- Copy of valid passport or national ID.
- A medical certificate, vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B) and HIV test.
- The payment receipt of the application fee.
- An official copy of the following language exam certificates:
- TOEFL (PBT paper-based): 517 points (www.ets.org/toefl)
- TOEFL (iBT internet-based): 66 points (www.ets.org/toefl)
- IELTS: Overall Band Score: 5.5 (www.ielts.org)
- Cambridge ESOL: B2 level (www.cambridgeenglish.org)
- TELC: B2 level (https://www.telc.net/en.html)
- ECL: B2 level (http://www.ecl-test.com/)
- Oxford Online Placement Test: 70 points (www.oxfordenglishtesting.com)
Examples of subjects During the Studies
- European Paradigm from the Ancient Ages to the Present Day
- Globalization, Mundialization
- International Political Economy
- Modern Political Philosophy
- International Business
- Foreign Policy of the USA
- Diplomatic and Consular Relations
- Political Geography, Geography of Security
- Political Culture – International Cultural Relations
- European Monetary Integration
- Theory and Practice of Diplomacy in a Global Context
- European Studies
- Regional and Civilization Studies