A one-year intensive MA Program
Organized in cooperation with The Egmont Institute – Royal Institute of International Relations, The Belgian Royal Academy and the Institute for Economics and Peace
This unique one-year Master’s program provides students and professionals with comprehensive knowledge and policy-oriented skills at the intersection of peace, security and strategic studies. Designed, led and taught by an international network of leading international academics from top universities and think tanks as well as senior policy-makers from the United Nations, NATO and the European Union, including Professor Jamie Shea (former NATO Deputy Assistant Secretary-General for Emerging Security Challenge), this program enables students interested in an international career in government, international organizations, think tanks or NGOs to gain unique theoretical foundations, practical skill-sets, and high-level contacts.
With its strong links to the policy-making world and university/think tank partners in Brussels, wider Europe, the US and around the globe, the program offers students a truly global and transatlantic exchange between theory and practice. Major scholars, think tanks, founders of the discipline of peace studies and senior strategists in security studies (including NATO specialists, the Royal Military Academy of Belgium and the Egmont Institute) are brought together in the partnership circle, advisory board and faculty of this program to allow for a critical and balanced exchange between the perspectives. Graduates of this program will be equipped to extract the insights, advantages, and limitations of these perspectives and approaches to global peace, security, and strategy.Directed by thi
As part of this MA program, students will have an opportunity to do tailor-made internships with one of our high-profile internship partners, which they will be involved in the deep-end of our partners’ activities from day one. The program has a wide range of agreements with international organizations for internships during the summer after the completion of the major coursework, allowing students to focus full-time on their internship in addition to writing their thesis.
- Intensive full-time one-year Master’s program with flexible course formats; possibility of part-time modus of evening classes (two-years).
- Innovative and Interactive Teaching, delivered by an outstanding Faculty of Scholars, Practitioners, and Trainers.
- Organized by Vesalius College in cooperation with three leading partners (Egmont Institute, Royal Military Academy and the Institute of Economics and Peace).
- A unique bridge between the disciplines, perspectives of Peace Studies, Security Studies and Strategic Studies.
- A strong link between theory and actual practice.
- Internship placement in international organizations think-tanks and NGOs.
- Intensive skills training and policy workshops.
- Strong link to the policy-maker scene in Brussels.
- Capstone course that links students to real-life issues and challenges of policy-makers and practitioners.
Structure and Courses
Please see full course list here.
- 21 August 2020 - 30 July 2021 (90 ECTS)
- 21 August 2020 - 30 January 2022 (120 ECTS)
- A first undergraduate degree in social sciences, qualifying for graduate studies in the country of origin.
- TOEFL score of over 90, or equivalent proof of English language (i.e. IELTS) if your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English.
- Application form.
- Official transcripts.
- Copy of undergraduate diploma.
- Application fee of 70 euro.
(for the entire program)
- 13.000 euro (EU students).
- 16.000 euro (Non-EU students).
- Academic Excellence Scholarships (AES), with a tuition fee reduction of up to 50%, are available to students with a GPA of 3.6/4 as well as evidence of extra-curricular activities that show social engagement of leadership.
- Students who graduated with a BA from Vesalius College or have completed a semester or two at Vesalius College as part of their study abroad program qualify for a tuition fee reduction.
About the School
Vesalius College is one of the few higher education institutions in Brussels that offers European-focused Bachelor’s degrees solely taught in the English language. Founded in 1987 by the Vrije Univers ... Read More