Sabancı University European Studies MA Program provides a comprehensive study of historical and contemporary developments in Europe, specifically of the European integration process, from a multi-disciplinary perspective. The students will acquire theoretical and practical knowledge of the European political and administrative systems as well as historical and philosophical foundations of modern Europe. They will also gain the necessary skills to compete for increasing opportunities in careers within the newly emerging institutions of Europe as Euro-bureaucrats and policy-makers, as representatives of and/or analysts/consultants to governments, NGOs and the private sector in all matters relating to the European Union.
Given Turkey's candidacy, there is a pressing need for advancing EU studies in Turkey and generating an awareness in the Turkish public opinion as well as the policy-making circles about the European Union, its decision-making procedures, its institutions. This is reflected in the increasing demand coming from the private sector to employ specialists who know how decisions are made within EU and how they might be effectively pursued and shaped. Private sector organizations in Turkey will require all the human resources they can find to compete in the increasingly complex European and related global markets. Similarly in the government sector, the prospects of the start of accession negotiations imply an immediately growing need for a new breed of able and knowledgeable public servants specializing in the European related issues.
- Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning
- Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
- Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
- Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
- Independently reach and acquire information, and develop appreciation of the need for continuously learning and updating.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in the field and apply them in research design and data analysis.
- Assess the impact of the economic, social, and political environment from a global, national and regional level.
- Know how to access written and visual, primary and secondary sources of information, interpret concepts and data from a variety of sources in developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary analyses.
- Analyze historical and contemporary developments in Europe, specifically of the European integration process, from a multi-disciplinary perspective.
- Grasp the main dynamics of the European order, politically, historically and economically.
- Explain the European integration process and the EU's decision-making procedures and its institutions.
Students applying to the programme preferably should have a background in social sciences. Academic as well as professional experience in European related fields will be welcomed but not required. Graduates from humanities, sciences and engineering departments may also apply to our program, however, these may be required to take some additional preparatory courses before they complete the degree requirements.
Applications for graduate programs are evaluated by the Admissions Committee of the relevant program. Admission is finalized by the approval of the related Graduate School Board upon the recommendation of the Admissions Committee and announced to the applicant.
Applicants may be invited for written exams and/or interviews. All written exams and interviews are held in English. For Turkish and international applicants who are abroad and unable to attend written exams and/or interviews, will be interviewed through Skype.
Applications by international applicants studying abroad are valid only after the approval and recognition of the last graduated higher education institution and the course of study by the Turkish Higher Education Council. Verification will be done by the University.
Turkish candidates graduated from a higher institution abroad should submit a certificate of equivalence by the Turkish Higher Education Council.
Application Documents and Requirements:
- Online Application Form: Candidates can apply to more than one program via the online system. A separate application form should be filled out for each program to which a candidate wishes to apply.
- Official Transcript: A sealed official transcript issued by the Student Affairs unit of the applicant's previous university should be submitted. This document should indicate the courses taken and grades received by the applicant
- Two Letters of Recommendation: These should be either submitted online or posted in a sealed envelope. Sample letter
- One Photograph: One photo is needed. If a photo has already been attached to the online application, this is not necessary.
- Statement of Purpose: Applicants are expected to present a statement of purpose referring to the program they are applying to. Applications for Conflict Analysis and Resolutions, Cultural Studies, European Studies, and Political Science will not be taken into consideration without the statement of purpose.
- Writing Sample: Applicants are expected to present a writing sample like essay, article, thesis, etc. Applications for Conflict Analysis and Resolutions, Cultural Studies and European Studies will not be taken into consideration without the writing sample.
- Result for Graduate Program Entrance Exam: The applicant must submit one of the following exam’s result during application. Applications without a valid exam result will not be taken into consideration. Photocopies of the scores are accepted for application, but original copies should be submitted upon admission and enrollment.
- English Proficiency Exam Result Certificate: As the language of instruction at Sabancı University is English, the applicant is required to submit the score of one of the English proficiency assessment exams. Recognized exams and the minimum score required: TOEFL IBT - 87; KPDS/ ÜDS/ e-YDS / YDS -73; PTE Academik -73; CAE - B; CPE - C. Photocopies of the documents are accepted for application; however originals will be requested upon registration in the case of admission. After the test date, TOEFL IBT scores are valid for 2 years; PTE Academic scores are valid for two years; CAE and CPE scores are valid for 3 years; e-YDS, YDS, KPDS and ÜDS scores are valid for 5 years.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 10, 2017