Educational Management - MA
The MA Educational Management is an advanced and flexible course which includes two specialist modules – Human Resource Management and Marketing – as well as a range of optional modules. It is directly relevant to the realities of working in educational management in different sectors, and assignments are tailored towards your own working environment.
The MA Educational Management is a named award within the MEd Professional Development scheme. In the first instance applicants should apply for the MEd Professional Development.
Advanced courses in education at the University of Bolton all focus on clear principles: learners and learning, professional practice in education and training, and quality and excellence in professional development.
About the course
This exciting and demanding masters course gives you the opportunity to develop a range of in depth skills which are applicable in different senior and management roles in across the education sector.
You will be taught by educational professionals and assessed using techniques including group and individual projects and assignments, research, presentations, tutorials, reports and essays. At all times the course is relevant and focused, preparing you for additional responsibilities in your career.
- The University of Bolton has a long-standing and excellent reputation for the teaching of education courses, and professional development in particular.
- We understand that studying for a masters degree takes commitment and an investment of time, money and effort. You will be taught by experienced educational professionals and have one-to-one tutor support throughout your postgraduate studies.
- As well as small group learning and support the University of Bolton has excellent libraries, 24/7 IT facilities and campus-wide WiFi for all students.
What you will learn
This course allows rigorous academic investigations into education management. You will learn how to explore educational research and make informed comment on the applicability, relevance and usefulness of theories, concepts, models, methodologies and techniques applied to practice. You will acquire a range of advanced skills and abilities necessary for you to pursue the demands of your chosen programme successfully.
What you will study
The MA Educational Management requires 180 credits. The Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management is an exit award worth 120 credits. The Postgraduate Certificate in Educational Management is also an exit award worth 60 credits.
To obtain an MA Educational Management you will undertake three core modules, three option modules and a dissertation.
There are core modules, optional modules (including the specialist modules) and a dissertation.
Core modules (60 credits)
- Research Awareness and Support Skills (20 credits) or, where more appropriate, Research Methods - Field Studies (20 credits);
- Organisational Management (20 credits);
- Curriculum Studies (20 credits).
Option modules (60 credits)
You will choose three option modules including the specialist modules. This is a specialist award so you must study the management module pair:
- Human Resource Management (20 credits);
- Marketing (20 credits).
You should also choose one module from the following:
- Work-Based Module B Developments (20 credits);
- Work-Based Module B Case Study (20 credits);
- Research Methods - Field Studies (20 credits);
- Vocational Education and Development (20 credits);
- The Concept and Implementation of Design and Technology (20 credits);
- Competency-based Training in Vocational Education (20 credits);
- Staff Development and Appraisal in Vocational Education (20 credits);
- Information Technology - the Impact on Technical Education (20 credits);
- ICT in Education (20 credits);
- Computer-supported Collaborative Leaning and E-tutoring (20 credits);
- The Struggle for Inclusive Education (20 credits);
- Transformative Education in an Inclusive Context (20 credits).
Dissertation (60 credits)
You must undertake a dissertation in a subject consistent with educational management.
Normally, you should have at least an upper second class (2.1) honours degree and a PGCE (or equivalent).
If English is not your first language you will also normally need IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent). If you do not have the required English level, you can study English with us from IELTS 4.0 (or equivalent).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017