Economics MA and Ph.D. programs are built on a core foundation in a design that facilitates mobility between the two programs. In their common core, these programs equip the student with a solid background in economic theory and application techniques.
Unique in Turkey in its depth and scope, the MA program prepares the academically oriented student for Ph.D. studies and, on the other hand, in conjunction with the Public Policy MA program, provides the students who seek jobs in the public or private sector with the highly demanded skills in economic policy and analysis.
The Ph.D. program offered its first degree in 2010. With a quality curriculum and first-class faculty, it aims at producing top-level academicians.
Program Requirements may vary according to the year of first enrollment.
The MA in economics program provides highly demanded skills in economic analysis and policy for students seeking jobs in the public or private sector. The program also prepares the academically oriented student to excel in Ph.D. studies. The first year program consists of a total of 24 credit hours in microeconomics, macroeconomics, and econometrics. The second year presents two options: a Master Thesis plus 9 credit hours or a Term Project plus 12 credit hours from advanced elective courses.
- Develop the ability to use critical, analytical, and reflective thinking and reasoning
- Reflect on social and ethical responsibilities in his/her professional life.
- Gain experience and confidence in the dissemination of project/research outputs
- Work responsibly and creatively as an individual or as a member or leader of a team and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, graphical and technological means and have competency in English.
- Independently reach and acquire information, and develop an appreciation of the need for continuous learning and updating.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of theories, concepts, and research methods in the field and apply them in research design and data analysis.
- Assess the impact of the economic, social, and political environment from a global, national and regional level.
- Know how to access written and visual, primary and secondary sources of information, interpret concepts and data from a variety of sources in developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary analyses.
- Construct reasoned arguments, synthesize relevant information, and critically analyze the subject material.
- Read and understand articles published in academic economics journals.
- Come up with research questions about economic issues.
- Construct a well-organized logical argument with clearly stated assumptions and hypotheses and, if necessary, be able to test or support it with relevant data.
Applications for graduate programs are evaluated by the Admissions Committee of the relevant program. Admission is finalized by the approval of the related Graduate School Board upon the recommendation of the Admissions Committee and announced to the applicant.
Applicants may be invited for written exams and/or interviews. All written exams and interviews are held in English. For Turkish and international applicants who are abroad and unable to attend written exams and/or interviews, will be interviewed through Skype.
Applications by international applicants studying abroad are valid only after the approval and recognition of the last graduated higher education institution and the course of study by the Turkish Higher Education Council. Verification will be done by the University.
Turkish candidates graduated from a higher institution abroad should submit a certificate of equivalence by the Turkish Higher Education Council.
Application Documents and Requirements:
- Online Application Form: Candidates can apply to more than one program via the online system. A separate application form should be filled out for each program to which a candidate wishes to apply.
- Official Transcript: A sealed official transcript issued by the Student Affairs unit of the applicant's previous university should be submitted. This document should indicate the courses taken and grades received by the applicant
- Two Letters of Recommendation: These should be either submitted online or posted in a sealed envelope. Sample letter
- One Photograph: One photo is needed. If a photo has already been attached to the online application, this is not necessary.
- Result for Graduate Program Entrance Exam: The applicant must submit one of the following exam’s result during application. Applications without a valid exam result will not be taken into consideration. Photocopies of the scores are accepted for application, but original copies should be submitted upon admission and enrollment. Turkish and international candidates should submit one of these exams’ results during application: ALES / e-ALES: 55 - Equal weight; GRE: 149 - Quantitative
- English Proficiency Exam Result Certificate: As the language of instruction at Sabancı University is English, the applicant is required to submit the score of one of the English proficiency assessment exams. Recognized exams and the minimum score required: TOEFL IBT - 87; KPDS/ ÜDS/ e-YDS / YDS -73; PTE Academic -73; CAE - B; CPE - C. Photocopies of the documents are accepted for application; however originals will be requested upon registration in the case of admission. After the test date, TOEFL IBT scores are valid for 2 years; PTE Academic scores are valid for two years; CAE and CPE scores are valid for 3 years; e-YDS, YDS, KPDS and ÜDS scores are valid for 5 years.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 17, 2018