MA in Diplomacy and Global Governance
A one-year intensive MA Program
This unique one-year Master’s program provides students and professionals with comprehensive knowledge and policy-oriented skills at the intersection of diplomacy and global governance. Both diplomacy and global governance are important institutions of the international order; but they are also the institutions undergoing permanent processes of change in the modern and at times turbulent world.
No institution has undergone the greater change in both our theoretical understanding of it and the nature of its day-to-day practice in the last several decades than diplomacy. No process has become more important than our ability, or often lack of it, to engage on transnational policy making by international collective action problem solving while at the same time becoming so highly contested and politicized.
We face a permanent challenge to govern ourselves beyond the territory of the nation-state, and hence face the importance of understanding the expectations and limits of global governance and diplomatic skills.
The degree is designed and taught by a network of leading international academics from top universities and think tanks as well as senior policy-makers from international organizations, and provides both theoretical foundations and practical skill-sets for students interested in international careers in diplomacy, government, international organizations, think tanks and NGOs.
With its strong links to the policy-making world and university/think tank partners in Brussels, wider Europe, US, and Asia, the program can offer students a truly global exchange between theory and practice. By deliberately bringing together key practitioners with scholars from these fields, graduates of this program will be equipped to extract insights and advantages of the various perspectives and approaches at this turning point in the history of diplomacy and global governance.
As part of this MA program, you will have an opportunity to do a tailor-made internship with one of our high-profile internship partners which you will be involved in the deep-end of our partners’ activities from day one. The program has a wide range of agreements with international organizations for internships during the summer after the completion of your major coursework, allowing you to focus full-time on your internship in addition to writing your thesis.
- Intensive full-time one-year Master’s Program with flexible course formats; possibility of part-time modus of evening classes (two-years).
- Innovative and interactive teaching, delivered by an outstanding faculty of scholars, practitioners, and trainers.
- Organized by Vesalius College in cooperation with senior officials from the European Union and national diplomatic communities.
- A strong link between theory and actual practice.
- Internship placement in international organizations think-tanks and NGOs.
- Intensive skills training and policy workshops.
- Strong link to the policy-maker scene in Brussels.
- Capstone course that links students to real-life issues and challenges of policy-makers and practitioners.
Structure and Courses
60 ECTS must be completed for this MA program.
Semester 1: Compulsory Courses (30 Credits) + 1 Skills Training
|The Theory and Practice of International Relations and Geopolitics||6 ECTS|
|The Theory and Practice of Diplomacy and Global Governance||6 ECTS|
|The Role of International and Regional Organizations (including UN, IMF, World Bank, NATO the EU and other regional organizations)||6 ECTS|
|Diplomacy and Foreign Policy Analysis||6 ECTS|
|Research Methods||6 ECTS|
|Networking and Professional Skills Training Workshops (Preparation for Capstone Course in Semester 2)||--|
Semester 2: 3 or 4 Electives from the Diplomacy and Global Governance track (9-12 ECTS)
|Negotiating the Global Economy 1: Trade||3 ECTS|
|Negotiating the Global Economy 2: International Finance||3 ECTS|
|Transnational Network Diplomacy and Global Public Policy||3 ECTS|
|Diplomacy, Global Development and Humanitarian Aid||3 ECTS|
|The EU as a Global Diplomatic Actor||3 ECTS|
|International Law for Diplomats (TBC)||--|
|The Politics and Diplomacy of the Trans-Atlantic Relationship||3 ECTS|
|Negotiating the International Environment: Agents, Actors, Issues||3 ECTS|
|Public Diplomacy and Communication (Science and Culture in the age of social media)||3 ECTS|
|MA Thesis||12 ECTS|
|MA Capstone Practicum: Policy-Oriented Advising in Diplomacy||6 ECTS|
- 2017-2018 Academic Year
- 21 August 2017 - 30 July 2018.
- A first undergraduate degree, qualifying for graduate studies in the country of origin.
- TOEFL score of over 90, or equivalent proof of English language (i.e. IELTS) if your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English.
- Application form.
- Official transcripts.
- Copy of undergraduate diploma.
- Application fee of 50 euro.
Tuition (for the entire program)
- 13.000 euro (EU students).
- 16.000 euro (Non-EU students).
- Academic Excellence Scholarships, which are up to 50% tuition fee reduction, are available.
- Students who graduated with a BA from Vesalius College or have completed a semester or two at Vesalius College as part of their study abroad program qualify for a tuition fee reduction.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 18, 2017