A one-year intensive MA Program
This unique one-year Master’s program provides students and professionals with comprehensive knowledge and policy-oriented skills at the intersection of diplomacy and global governance. Both diplomacy and global governance are important institutions of the international order, but they are also the institutions undergoing permanent processes of change in the modern and at times turbulent world.
No institution has undergone a greater change in both our theoretical understanding of it and the nature of its day-to-day practice in the last several decades than diplomacy. No process has become more important than our ability, or often lack of it, to engage on transnational policy making by international collective action problem solving while at the same time becoming so highly contested and politicized. We face the importance of understanding the expectations and limits of global governance and diplomatic skills.
The degree is designed and taught by a network of leading international academics from top universities and think tanks as well as senior policy-makers from international organizations, and provides both theoretical foundations and practical skill-sets for students interested in international careers in diplomacy, government, international organizations, think tanks and NGOs.
With its strong links to the policy-making world and university/think tank partners in Brussels, wider Europe, US, and Asia, the program can offer students a truly global exchange between theory and practice. By deliberately bringing together key practitioners with scholars from these fields, graduates of this program will be equipped to extract insights and advantages of the various perspectives and approaches at this turning point in the history of diplomacy and global governance.
As part of this MA program, you will have an opportunity to do a tailor-made internship with one of our high-profile internship partners which you will be involved in the deep end of our partners’ activities from day one. The program has a wide range of agreements with international organizations for internships during the summer after the completion of your major coursework, allowing you to focus full-time on your internship in addition to writing your thesis.
- Intensive full-time one-year Master’s Program with flexible course formats; possibility of part-time modus of evening classes (two-years).
- Innovative and interactive teaching, delivered by an outstanding faculty of scholars, practitioners, and trainers.
- Organized by Vesalius College in cooperation with senior officials from the European Union and national diplomatic communities.
- A strong link between theory and actual practice.
- Internship placement in international organizations think-tanks and NGOs.
- Intensive skills training and policy workshops.
- Strong link to the policy-maker scene in Brussels.
- Capstone course that links students to real-life issues and challenges of policy-makers and practitioners.
Structure and Courses
Please see full course list here.
- 21 September 2020 - 30 July 2021 (90 ECTS)
- 21 September 2020 - 30 January 2022 (120 ECTS)
- A first undergraduate degree in Social, Economic or Political Sciences, Business, Law and/or Contemporary History. If your degree is not withing these disciplines, relevant work experience in these or related fields may qualify.
- TOEFL score of over 100, or equivalent proof of English language (i.e. IELTS) if your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English.
- Application form.
- Official transcripts.
- Copy of undergraduate diploma.
- Application fee of 50 euro.
(for the entire program)
- 90 ECTS: 13 000 euro
- 120 ECTS: 17 300 euro
- Academic Excellence Scholarships (AES), with a tuition fee reduction of up to 50%, are available to students with a GPA of 3.6/4 as well as evidence of extra-curricular activities that show social engagement of leadership.
- Students who graduated with a BA from Vesalius College or have completed a semester or two at Vesalius College as part of their study abroad program qualify for a tuition fee reduction.
About the School
Vesalius College is one of the few higher education institutions in Brussels that offers European-focused Bachelor’s degrees solely taught in the English language. Founded in 1987 by the Vrije Univers ... Read More