Hyper Island's new MA in Digital Experience Design has been designed in response to demand from industry. There is currently a gap between what schools teach and what a designer needs to know to build products, services and systems in the real world.
The role of a designer is shifting. A product today is rarely just physical and consumers expectations are higher than ever. The challenge for designers is to design and deliver meaningful experiences, both online and offline.
The MA in Digital Experience Design will develop your technical, creative and strategic skills as an experienced designer to lead the change within this evolving industry.
You will explore experience design and related fields such as service design and interaction design, understanding human behaviour, rigorous research, digital technologies and prototyping, project management, business acumen and how to build and lead an effective team.
You will leave us primed for roles across human-centred design such as Experience Designer, Information Architect, Interaction Designer and Service Designer. Within these roles, graduates will be able to design and develop high-quality experiences, products and services. You will be able to work across disciplinary, cultural, and geographical boundaries to design innovative solutions to meet user and business needs. Above all, you will be able to operate strategically as an agent of change and have the knowledge, skills, and competence to work at the forefront of this fast-paced industry.
“You might call this type of work service design, experience design, design thinking, strategic design, system design, or even organisational design. Depending on your definition, this approach to solving problems really matters. The urgent, complex societal challenges our communities and businesses are facing require designers to up their game and equip themselves with the skills and talents required to design in this constantly evolving terrain” - Lauren Currie, Co-Founder, Snook
The MA Digital Experience Design represents an alternative option in industry-led learning here in the UK. At Hyper Island, you will be immersed in collaborative and high-energy learning environments that mirror the modern workplace dynamics. We value both professional and personal development and we seek to help you achieve that by supporting you with new methods, tools and knowledge to develop your abilities. It is a post-graduate Master of Arts degree awarded by Teesside University.
What you learn
- Digital strategy
- Business modelling
- Working with agile/lean processes
- Emerging and established technologies for creating experiences
- Human-centred design processes
- Idea generation, selection, and development
- Behavioural psychology
- Participatory research tools
- Building balanced teams to meet project requirements
- Global and remote collaboration
- Leadership and group dynamics
Infinite career possibilities
- UX Design
- Visual Design
- Interaction Design
- Information Architecture
- UX Architecture
- Service Design
- Project Management
From the programme content, you will be adept at a range of skills and capabilities, including:
- Developing a design strategy in response to a client brief
- Handling commercial client relationships effectively and be able to pitch ideas
- Demonstrating skills in personal development and teamwork
- Applying the Hyper Island methodology and contribute to effectiveness and productivity in groups
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- International students (from outside the EEA) applying for the MA Digital Experience Design are required to prove their English skills. You must achieve an IELTS score of 6.5 or above. We do not require students from Australia, USA, or countries where English is the native language to provide this language certificate.
If you are an international student you may need a Visa to study in the UK. You may be required to apply for the Student Visitor Visa which grants you 6-months in the UK for study purposes only. With this visa, you are required by law to leave the UK no later than 6-months after entry. This means that international students with a Student Visitor Visa must fulfil their Industry Research Project requirement outside the UK.
More information on whether you are required to have a Visa and guidance on how to make your application can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Swedish applicants can apply for CSN (governmental student loan/bursary) for the MA Digital Experience Design programme. Just apply as usual via csn.se and state Teesside University as the study location.
We are proud to share that our MA Digital Experience Design is BAC Accredited. This is a leading mark of educational quality for the education sector and awarded following a rigorous inspection of our Manchester school, its staff and learning environment.
Program taught in: