The Department of Communication & Rhetorical Studies offers graduate degrees (M.A. and Ph.D.) intentionally situated within a series of what Martin Buber referred to as a unity of contraries. We embrace the productive tensions between theory and practice; preparation for teaching and for the marketplace; recruitment of traditional and non-traditional students; excellence in teaching and scholarship; professional expectations and an invitational intellectual community.
As a student in our graduate program, you will experience the integration of a humanities education with practical application and a commitment to communication in the marketplace. Consistent with the mission of Duquesne University, we will invite you into a conversation that will expand your horizons through the unity of liberal arts and professional education, moral issues and secular excellence.
Our Graduate Degrees
M.A. in Communication & Rhetorical Studies
- Integrated Marketing Communication
- Corporate Communication
- Rhetoric & Philosophy of Communication
- Rhetoric & Philosophy of Technology
- Communication Studies
Our program walks the humanities into the marketplace with theory and practice, requiring you to engage knowledge of the historical implications of the humanities and the marketplace. The core curriculum for the M.A. in Communication provides a foundation through the following courses:
- COMM 500 Professional Communication
- COMM 501 Persuasion in the Marketplace
- COMM 515 Organizational Communication
- COMM 522 Communication Research Methods
- COMM 523 Communication Ethics & Professional Civility
M.A. Degree Programs
We offer five Master of Arts degree programs.
Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC) incorporates an intensive sequence of graduate coursework emphasizing advertising, public relations, and marketing communication as strategic and rhetorical functions that shape marketplace effectiveness and excellence.
Corporate Communication prepares you for leadership and management roles in the marketplace.
Rhetoric & Philosophy of Communication offers courses fundamental for a doctoral degree or enhancement of a liberal arts foundation in communication.
Rhetoric & Philosophy of Technology
Communication Studies offers a hybrid program that allows you to gain professional credentials while considering a future doctoral study by blending a strong theoretical background with knowledge of professional communication practices.
Dual Degree Programs
- M.A. in Corporate Communication and M.B.A.
- M.A. in Corporate Communication and Pastoral Ministry
- M.A. in Rhetoric & Philosophy of Communication and Pastoral Ministry
- M.A. in Corporate Communication and M.S. in Multimedia Technology
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 25, 2018