Launched in September 2014, the MA in Audiovisual Translation (MAAT) is a two-year program designed to train specialists in the mediation of audiovisual texts, both for foreign-language viewers and sensory impaired audiences.
The flourishing field of audiovisual translation opens itself to fundamental and applied research in a wide range of domains. Taking the audiovisual text as its focal point, research can address technical and technological issues, linguistic and/or cultural and ideological issues. In audiovisual translation, socially oriented scholars will find ample space for applied research with an impact in domains such as television, the arts, cultural and educational contexts.
Graduates of the program are equipped to:
- Master the practical and technological skills required for a career in subtitling, dubbing, voice-over, subtitling for the hard of hearing and audio description.
- Use their enhanced analytical skills in a practical setting.
- Work as audiovisual translators at the national and international level for the media, culture, tourism, education or any other sector where linguistic and cultural mediation is bound to multimedia contexts.
- Pursue careers in teaching or opt for advanced research at a Ph.D. level.
- A two-year full-time program that requires 36 credits with 6 required courses, 2 electives, an internship and a thesis.
- All courses are conducted face-to-face and classroom-based taught in English and take place at HBKU in Doha, Qatar.
Students will be taught by faculty members of HBKU, who are leading scholars and researchers in their fields, or by distinguished visiting professors and experts working in the field of translation.
The program, which includes work placement experience, is taught in state-of-the-art computer labs equipped with the latest professional subtitling software.
Admission & Application Requirements
In order to be considered for admission to the Master of Arts in Translation Studies or Audiovisual Translation, applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, and strong language proficiency in English and Arabic.
Applicants are required to take the IELTS or TOEFL exam in order to demonstrate their proficiency in English. The IELTS or TOEFL score must be no more than two years old.This requirement will not be waived under any circumstances. An English-language related major will not exempt applicants from this requirement, neither will holding any specific passport.
This school offers programs in: