Are you interested in Art and Culture? Is a career in research something you aspire to? Then this is the Master's degree you are looking for.
In the two-year Research Master's degree in Arts and Culture, you can choose between two tracks.
The track in Literary and Cultural Studies offers you an advanced study of the arts. You will focus specifically on the role the arts play in processes of cultural change. Also, you will specialize in one of the involved art forms: literature, film, theatre, music or multimedia forms.
Literary and cultural studies (track)
The two-year Master's track in Literary and Cultural Studies is a specialization within the Research Master's degree in Arts and Culture.
Literary and Cultural Studies equips students with knowledge and skills to become researchers and experts on the role that the arts, literature and media play in society, now and in the past. The programme offers a rich multi- and interdisciplinary framework within which students can specialize in one of the following disciplines or combinations of disciplines, under close supervision of a highly qualified research faculty:
- arts and culture education,
- cognitive studies of arts, media and culture,
- cultural studies,
- digital humanities,
- film studies,
- history of art, architecture and landscape,
- literary studies
- media and journalism studies,
- music studies,
- theatre and performance studies.
To better reflect the breadth of disciplines involved, the track will be called Arts, Media, and Literary Studies from 2018/2019 onwards.
Cultural Leadership (track)
Culture defines humanity. Managing the valuation and transmission of culture through policy, entrepreneurship, and education across generations is, therefore, a key responsibility for a sustainable society. In our modern society, culture has to be negotiated as it is shaped by digitisation and new media, ethnic and cultural diversity, changing audiences and economic circumstances, dwindling public funds, and a loss of shared historical awareness. The mission of the Master's track Cultural Leadership is to educate future leaders in the cultural domain, both national and international, enabling them to carry culture forward in a critical, sustainable, and creative manner. The programme equips students with essential scholarly expertise and analytical and strategic skills.
The Master's track Cultural Leadership:
- is innovative: it prepares master students for a cultural field which quickly changes due to technological, pedagogical, political, and societal developments. It offers new methods and tools (e.g., hands-on history, digital curating) to help rethink the cultural field.
- has a dual character: it combines theoretical and object-oriented courses and a thesis with a six months research traineeship.
- has a well-defined aim: to equip students with the knowledge and skills to develop an inspiring, responsible, and realistic vision on how we can carry culture into the future.
Master's Honours Programme (honours programme)
The Master's Honours Programme was developed especially for students who want to get more from their studies.
It is a programme worth 15 ECTS that is followed in addition to the standard Master's programme. It is a one-year interdisciplinary programme that is designed to introduce students to various aspects of leadership.
||Excellent academic record.
||Minimum requirement of TOEFL iBT 100 (with a minimum of 25 on writing skills) or IELTS 7 (with a minimum of 6.5 on all items). ERK level C1.
||BA degree in:
- a modern European language and culture study (with a specialization in literature, film, and culture)
- American Studies
- Art History
- Arts, Culture and Media
- Classical Studies (with a specialization in literature, film, and culture)
- Middle Eastern Studies
- other related fields
||Two letters of recommendation from relevant experts.
|other admission requirements
||Furthermore, the selection procedure is also based on an evaluation of degree certificates, individual results, and the thesis or paper.
|Type of student
||01 May 2019
||01 September 2019
||01 May 2019
||01 September 2019
As a graduate of this programme, you are well prepared for a career in research. Depending on your specialization you can explore the areas of the Arts and Culture, both at universities and other research institutes.
Program taught in: