The multi-disciplinary Master’s in Theology and Religious Studies at Leiden University allows you to focus on either religion, culture and society in general or more specifically on the dynamics of Christianity in its diverse forms. You will be taught theories that you will apply immediately to empirical findings in a comparative approach. Historical, cultural, anthropological, psychological and sociological perspectives equip you with a broad set of academic skills enhancing your career opportunities.
Religion, Culture and Society allows you to study a broad spectrum of religions and their manifestations. Important themes throughout the curriculum are modernisation and globalisation and their impacts on religion and its place in society. What makes this specialisation unique is the wide scope of the programme. The generalist approach towards the study of religion focuses on skills, tools, methods and theories. Graduates are equipped with everything needed to analyze situations and tackle problems in society at large. Our staff members are specialized in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and New Religious movements; their expertise is available on site.
Christianity: the Dynamics of Diversity focuses on the changing role of Christianity in society, from the early modern period up to the present day. Important themes are the impact of biblical criticism, modern historical scholarship, science and cultural transfers. What makes this specialisation particularly attractive is its non-confessional and comparative approach to the study of Christianity and its diverse expressions in (early) modern history and present-day society. Christianity: the Dynamics of Diversity studies secularizing developments including non-religion, agnosticism, and atheism, and underlines the importance of biblical criticism in the tradition of Erasmus and Spinoza.
5 reasons to choose Theology and Religious Studies at Leiden University
- Leiden University is famous for its wide range of specialisms and outstanding scholarship, providing you with an excellent basis for the study of religion from a comparative perspective.
- 5 specialist staff members support the unique profile in Christianity.
- Courses consist both of theory and applied practice, offering you hands-on experience; all the necessary research skills, tools and historical sources are made available.
- A variety of alternating electives gives you freedom of choice. You can specialize in one of many religious traditions, or opt for a methodological approach.
- The relatively small size of our department allows for an informal atmosphere and approachable staff members. You’ll be provided with individual, personalized guidanc
EU/EEA, Dutch (including Netherlands Antilles), Swiss or Surinamese: around €1,984.
Other: around €16,400.
If you would like to know more, please get in touch or visit the programme introduction page on our website: http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/theology-and-religious-studies/en/introduction.
Among the subjects you will be taking with this programme, you may find the following:
- Tools and Theories in the Study of Religion: Historical, Cognitive, and Social-Scientific Approaches
- Confronting modernity
- Modern Muslim Qur’an Interpretation
- Sacred Journeys: Pilgrimage and Holy Places
- Christianity in the modern Middle East
- East-West Encounters: Religious Exchanges and Transformations
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 31, 2017