Duration: One calendar year (full-time); Two or three years (part-time, daytime only)
Entry Requirements: Minimum upper second class honours (or equivalent) in Chinese
Subjects Preferred: Chinese
Start of programme: September intake only
Mode of Attendance: Full Time or Part Time
Who is this programme for?
Students are expected to have a degree of at least upper-second class level or equivalent and to have proved to our satisfaction that they have a competence in Chinese equivalent to at least the level reached by the end of our third year BA Chinese course. The degree is designed either as an end qualification in itself or to prepare the student for more advanced graduate work (MPhil/PhD).
The MA Sinology is designed to provide a training in advanced Chinese literature and documentary sources for those who already have a knowledge of Chinese (both classical and modern) to a level equivalent to that attained by the end of the 3rd year Chinese BA at SOAS.
This programme does not follow the major/minor pattern. Students must undertake a compulsory course together with two other optional courses.
On this programme, students take 180 credits, 60 of which are a dissertation and a 120 from taught modules.
Students must take both modules below.
- Sinological Methodology 15PEAC005 (30 credits) Full Year
- Dissertation in the Languages and Cultures of China and Inner Asia 15PCHC999 (60 credits) Full Year
Students must take 30 credits from the list below. You may take more.
- Classical Documentary Texts 15PEAC006 (30 credits) Full Year
- Modern Documentary Texts 15PEAC007 (30 credits) Full Year
Students can take the remaining 30 or 60 credits from the list below. Only 30 credits are allowed from the language acquisition modules. Higher levels of language may be available upon request.
- Art and Archaeology of the Silk Road 15PARC032 (30 credits) Full Year
- Practical Translation: Chinese to English 15PCHH004 (15credits) Term 2
- Practical Translation: English to Chinese 15PCHH005 (15credits) Term 1
- Modern Chinese Literature in Translation 15PCHC002 (30 credits) Full Year
- Modern Chinese Literature (MA) 15PCHC003 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Traditional Chinese Literature in Translation 15PCHC004 (30 credits) Full Year
- Modern Chinese Film and Theatre (MA) 15PCHH001 (15credits) Term 2
- Modern Film from Taiwan and the Chinese Diaspora 15PCHH002 (15credits) Term 1
- Introduction to Classical Literary Tibetan (Masters) 15PEAC020 (30 credits) Full Year
- Knowledge and Power in Early Modern China 15PHIH024 (15credits) Term 1
- Chinese Religious Texts: A Reading Seminar 15PSRH038 (15credits) Term 2
- Elementary spoken Hokkien (Minnanyu, Taiwanese) (PG) 15PCHC007 (30 credits) Full Year
- Intensive Elementary Tibetan (PG) 15PCHC018 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Basic Japanese 1 (PG) 15PJKC008 (30 credits) Full Year
- Basic Japanese 2 (PG) 15PJKC009 (30 credits) Full Year
- Basic Korean (PG) 15PJKC022 (30 credits) Full Year
- Basic Korean 2 (PG) 15PJKC024 (30 credits) Full Year
- Sanskrit Language 1 (PG) 15PSAC294 (30 credits) Full Year
- Sanskrit Language 2 (PG) 15PSAC306 (30 credits) Full Year
Program taught in: