Multiculturalism. Integration. Neopopulism. Meritocracy. These are some of the hottest topics around today, and they are all addressed in this programme. The common thread: how culture has become a source of concern and conflict in the national and international political arenas.
This is not a programme where you’ll be stuck in Politics 101, answering questions like ‘So what is national identity?’ Instead, you’ll be expected to engage intelligently with some of the biggest sociopolitical issues of our time: What is the meaning of citizenship in modern culture? The role of political intellectuals? The value of democracy? The future of liberty itself? Given the present international backdrop of cultural conflicts, political strife and radical new technologies, a thorough understanding of such issues is more urgently needed than ever.
Politics and Society at Maastricht University…
- is a one-year international and interdisciplinary Master of Arts programme
- can be followed in English or in Dutch
- has a majority of international students, representing on average 8 different nationalities
- utilises a combination of methodologies including Problem-Based Learning
- is excellent preparation for a successful PhD programme
- looks at the public roles of the professionals who are engaged in research, management, criticism, and debate in these areas
- offers you the choice of spending the second semester working abroad on an internship or project
If you would like to come to Maastricht earlier in the summer in order to settle in, you might think about taking a language course or attending the Maastricht summer school for 2, 4 or 6 weeks.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 15, 2016