Choose Kingston's Photography MA
This course offers an opportunity for students to develop a major body of practical work that engages with the expanded boundaries of photography and hybridisation of the medium. It is concerned with a broad range of photographic practices and technologies and explores debates around the politics of representation and our role as image makers.
- You will have the opportunity to exhibit your work and take part in off-site visits to galleries, photography festivals and other cultural spaces, as well as study tours.
- Supported by a team of technical and academic staff, you will have access to a professional photography suite that includes two new digital-imaging areas, darkroom areas, two double-height photography studios and a general preparation, finishing and demonstration area. In addition, you will have access to 3D, screen printing and moving image workshops.
What will you study?
You will gain a thorough understanding of the history of photography and its continuously developing field of interrelated forms of image production and visual culture. You will explore the potential of the expanded boundaries of photography in unexpected and innovative ways through self-initiated research. Supported by taught modules and an experienced group of research-active staff, you will develop critical thinking and a sustained practice.
Seminar and exhibition presentations, tutorials, individual and group reviews.
Please note that this is an indicative list of modules and is not intended as a definitive list. Those listed here may also be a mixture of core and optional modules.
- Project 1
- Theory – Seminar
- Photography Practice – Applied Theory in Advanced Photography
- Photography Practice – Publishing
- Masters Project (Exhibition and Research Publication)
Learn a language
You will have the opportunity to study a foreign language, free of charge, during your time at the University as part of the Kingston Language Scheme. Options currently include Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
Cost & Fees
Home and European Union 2016/17
- MA part-time £3,850
- MA full-time £7,000
Overseas (not EU) 2016/17
- MA part-time £7,755
- MA full-time £14,100
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 31, 2018