MA Media in Development
Start of programme: September intake only
Mode of Attendance: Full Time or Part Time
This programme challenges the assumptions behind the media and development industries and development studies and offers new ways of thinking about the issues. The approach balances critical theoretical analysis of the hegemony implied by the ideas and practices of development with the practical issues surrounding the use of contemporary media, including notably digital technologies.
It draws on media theory, practical knowledge, and experience, alongside critical debates within and about development, to challenge assumptions about the role of media and development industries. Students combine critical theoretical analysis of the role of media in development with a focus on practical issues surrounding the use of media, including digital technologies.
The programme differs from other degrees in the field by placing the onus on the role of media to further the Development Agenda, especially post the Second World War. Students benefit from the unique position of the Centre for Media Studies as a specialist institution for the study of media in the global south.
It is designed for those with an interest in global media and development, including media and development professionals seeking alternative ways of thinking about their roles. It provides an excellent foundation for MPhil/ Ph.D. research.
Students will take four units in total.
- Theoretical and Contemporary Issues in Media, Information Communication Technologies and Development 15PMSC004 (30 credits) Full Year
- Qualitative Research Methods 15PMSC033 (15credits) Term 1
- Dissertation MA Media and Development 15PMSC997 (60 credits) Full Year
At least two half-units from the range of options in the Centre for Media and Film Studies.
- Emerging Digital Cultures in Asia and Africa - Theory and Practice 15PMSH018
- International Political Communication 15PMSH009 (15credits) Term 2
- Media Spectacle and Urban Space in East Asia 15PMSH026 (15credits) Term 2
- Topics in Global Digital Cultures 15PMSC034 (15credits) Term 2
- Studies in Global Digital Cultures 15PMSH029 (15credits) Term 1
- Mediated Culture in the Middle East: Politics and Communications 15PMSH003 (15credits) Term 1
- The Transnational News Environment: Production, Representation and Use 15PMSH006 (15credits) Term 1
- Transnational Communities and Diasporic Media: Networking, Connectivity, Identity 15PMSH004 (15credits) Term 2
- Theoretical Issues in Media and Cultural Studies 15PMSH005 (15credits) Term 1
- Studies in Global Media and Post-National Communication 15PMSH007 (15credits) Term 1
Options in Other Departments
Up to two half units may be selected from other departments in the school.
Department of Anthropology
- Anthropology of Development 15PANC090 (30 credits) Full Year
- Anthropology of Travel and Tourism 15PANC098 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Tourism and Travel: A Global Perspective 15PANH059 (15credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- Cultural Understandings of Health 15PANC093 (30 credits) Full Year
- Culture and Society of East Africa 15PANH063 (15credits) Term 1
- Culture and Society of West Africa 15PANH068 (15credits) Term 2
Department of Politics
- Government and politics in Africa 15PPOC205 (30 credits) Full Year
- Comparative politics of the Middle East 15PPOC026 (30 credits) Full Year
- Politics of Globalisation and Development in Asia and Africa 15PPOC017 (30 credits) Full Year
Department of Development Studies
- Aid and Development 15PDSH027 (15credits) Term 1
- Civil society, social movements and the development process 15PDSH001 (15credits) Term 1
- Gender and Development 15PDSH010 (15credits) Term 1
Department of Music
- Music in Development 15PMUC034 (15credits) Term 2
- Sound Recording and Production 15PMSH025 (15credits) Term 1
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 18, 2018