MA Korean Studies
Duration: One calendar year (full-time) Two or three years (part-time, daytime only)
Minimum Entry Requirements: Minimum upper second class honours degree (or equivalent)
Start of programme: September intake only
This degree is designed either to prepare the student for advanced graduate work in a wide range of subjects related to Korea or as an end/qualification in itself.
The programme explores the history, politics, art, music and literature of Korea, as well as providing opportunities to study the languages of the region.
The MA in Korean Studies consists of four components. Students choose one major course and two minor courses from the lists on the Course Detail page.
Students who plan to go on to further research can take a higher-level Korean language course as a minor.
Students take three taught courses and must also complete a 10,000-word dissertation on an approved topic.
Students take 180 credits, 60 of which are a dissertation and a 120 from taught modules. Of the taught modules, students select 30 credits which will be their major, a further 60-90 credits from the list of majors/minors. 30 credits may be taken from are from the approved open options list.
As the emphasis in the Regional Studies programmes is on interdisciplinary study, students are required to select their modules from a minimum of three different disciplines, and a maximum of 60 credits may be taken in any one discipline.
Majors or Minors
- The Making of Modern Korea 15PEAC059 (30 credits) Full Year
- Topics in the History of Traditional Korea 15PEAC053 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Topics in the History and Structure of the Korean Language 15PEAC060 (30 credits) Full Year
- International politics of East Asia 15PPOC251 (30 credits) Full Year
- Northeast Asian politics: Japan, Korea and Taiwan 15PPOC253 (30 credits) Full Year
Majors together/Minors individually
These modules can be considered as majors only if both modules are taken together. Separately they will be considered as minors.
- Readings in Korean Literature (Masters) 15PJKH021 (15credits) Term 2
- Translating Korean Literature (Masters) 15PJKH018 (15credits) Term 1
- Literary Traditions and Culture of Korea (Masters) 15PJKH005 (15credits) Term 2
- Trajectories of Modernity in Korean Literature (Masters) 15PJKH006 (15credits) Term 1
- Arts of Koryo and Chosen Korea 15PARH059 (15credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- Modern and Contemporary Korean Art 15PARH060 (15credits) Term 1
- Pop and Politics in East Asia (Masters) 15PMUH014 (15credits) Term 1
- Musical Traditions of East Asia (Masters) 15PMUH016 (15credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
Majors together with Directed Readings modules/Minors individually
These modules can be considered as majors only if taken together with one of the Directed Reading modules in the Minors only list below. Separately they will be considered as minors.
- Years of Radical change: South Korean cinema from the 'New Wave' to the new millennium 15PJKH009 (15credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- North Korea since 1945: the rise and decline of an East Asian developmental state 15PJKH012 (15credits) Term 2
- Media Spectacle and Urban Space in East Asia 15PMSH026 (15credits) Term 2
- Korean Advanced (Masters) 15PEAC018 (30 credits) Full Year
- Practical Translation: English into Korean 15PJKC002 (15credits) Full Year
- Korean Applied Linguistics and Language Pedagogy 15PLIH037 (15credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Directed readings in Korean Studies A 15PJKH010 (15credits) Term 1
- Directed readings in Korean Studies B 15PJKH011 (15credits) Term 1
- Korean Language Learning and Teaching 15PJKC030 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Basic Korean (PG) 15PJKC022 (30 credits) Full Year
- Intermediate Korean (PG) 15PJKC013 (30 credits) Full Year
- Introduction to Mixed Script Korean (PG) 15PJKC014 (30 credits) Full Year
- Higher Intermediate Readings in Korean (PG) 15PJKC018 (30 credits) Full Year
- Special Course in Chinese 1 (PG) 15PCHC008 (30 credits) Full Year
- Special Course in Chinese: Reading Classical and Literary Chinese (PG) 15PCHC010 (30 credits) Full Year
- Basic Japanese 1 (PG) 15PJKC008 (30 credits) Full Year
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 28, 2018