MA Japanese Studies
Duration: One calendar year (full-time), Two or three (part-time, daytime only)
Entry Requirements: Minimum upper second class honours degree (or equivalent)
SOAS offers the most comprehensive MA in Japanese Studies available anywhere in Europe.
Students are able to choose modules that cover all of Japan’s historical periods, from the earliest to the present and ranging over the social and political sciences as well as humanities.
The students who take this programme come from many countries and have a wide variety of academic backgrounds. Some have already studied, or lived, in Japan and wish to broaden their knowledge or understanding. Others wish to focus their previous training on the region, while still others will come from Japan or other East Asian countries wishing to study Japan from the perspective of a different culture and academic tradition.
Knowledge of the Japanese language is not a requirement of the programme. Language modules, however, are popular options.
SOAS has its own Japan Research Centre and shares the Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures with the University of East Anglia. Both can be of great benefit to students.
Students take 180 credits, 60 of which are a dissertation and a 120 from taught modules. A maximum of 60 credits can be taken from one discipline and a minimum of three disciplines must be covered. For students opting to take two language acquisition modules, only one of these can be from an introductory level.
One of the modules is designated as a major, in relation to which students complete a 10,000-word dissertation. Note that some modules can only be taken as a major and some, notably language modules, only as a minor.
As the emphasis in the Regional Studies programmes is on interdisciplinary study, students may only take a maximum of 60 credits in any one discipline. A minimum of three disciplines must be covered and, for students taking two language acquisition modules, only one of these can be an introductory level.
Some disciplines, such as Anthropology, Economics, or Politics, require an appropriate qualification (such as part of a first degree) if any of their modules are to be taken as the major subject. Students interested in such modules are advised to refer to the relevant webpage for details and, if necessary, to contact the relevant module convenor. Please note that convenors have discretion in deciding if an applicant's background is sufficient for the module concerned.
Anthropology and Sociology
- Culture and Society of Japan 15PANH065 (15 credits) Term 1
- Shogunal Iconography in the Edo Period 15PARH007 (15 credits) Term 1
- Popular Practice in the Edo Period Arts 15PARH008 (15 credits) Term 2
Available as a major only
Adequate background in Economics is a prerequisite for this module. Please contact the convenor for details.
- Economic Development of Japan 15PECH025 (15 credits) Term 2
- Japanese Modernity I 15PHIH013 (15 credits) Term 1
- Japanese Modernity II 15PHIH014 (15 credits) Term 2
Available as a minor only
- Basic Japanese 1 (PG) 15PJKC008 (30 credits) Full Year
- Basic Japanese 2 (PG) 15PJKC009 (30 credits) Full Year
- Intermediate Japanese 1 (PG) 15PJKC010 (30 credits) Full Year
- Intermediate Japanese 2 (PG) 15PJKC011 (30 credits) Full Year
- Advanced Japanese: Contemporary Topics (PG) 15PJKC012 (30 credits) Full Year
- Advanced Japanese: Readings in Modern Japanese History 15PEAC004 (30 credits) Full Year
- Higher Advanced Japanese (Masters) 15PEAC021 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
- Practical Translation: Japanese into English 15PJKH003 (15 credits) Term 2
- Basic Korean (PG) 15PJKC022 (30 credits) Full Year
- Basic Korean 2 (PG) 15PJKC024 (30 credits) Full Year
- Intermediate Korean (PG) 15PJKC013 (30 credits) Full Year
- Special Course in Chinese 1 (PG) 15PCHC008 (30 credits) Full Year
- Special Course in Chinese 2 (PG) 15PCHC011 (30 credits) Full Year
- Special Course in Chinese 3 (PG) 15PCHC009 (30 credits) Full Year
- Syntactic Structure of Japanese 1 15PEAH006 (15 credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
- Syntactic Structure of Japanese 2 15PEAH007 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- Japanese Traditional Drama (Masters) 15PEAH013 (15 credits) Term 1
- Modern Japanese Literature (Masters) 15PEAH012 (15 credits) Term 2
- Readings in Pre-Modern Japanese Literature (Masters) 15PJKC005 (30 credits) Full Year
- Readings in Modern Japanese Literature 15PJKC003 (30 credits) Full Year
- Management in Japan I 15PFMC018 (15 credits) Term 1
- Management in Japan II 15PFMC077 (15 credits) Term 2
- Japanese Transnational Cinema: From Kurosawa to Asia Extreme and Studio Ghibli 15PJKH007 (15 credits) Term 1
- Japanese Post-War Film Genres and the Avant-Garde 15PJKH008 (15 credits) Term 2
- Japanese Television since 1953 15PJKC006 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
Available as a minor only
- Pop and Politics in East Asia (Masters) 15PMUH014 (15 credits) Term 1
- Musical Traditions of East Asia (Masters) 15PMUH016 (15 credits) Term 2 Not Running 2017/2018
- International politics of East Asia 15PPOC251 (30 credits) Full Year
- Northeast Asian politics: Japan, Korea and Taiwan 15PPOC253 (30 credits) Full Year
- Japan Unravelled 15PPOH033 - Not Running 2017/18
- Religious Practice in Japan: Texts, Rituals and Believers 15PSRC071 (30 credits) Full Year Not Running 2017/2018
Available as a minor only
- East Asian Buddhist Thought 15PSRH018 (15 credits) Term 2
- Readings in Japanese religion 15PSRH041 (15 credits) Term 1 Not Running 2017/2018
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 29, 2018